Re: fear of the religious implications of design

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 05:27:35 EDT

    Reflectorites

    Here is an unwebbed (?) letter published in Human Events, September 15
    issue. from former Reflectorite Ashby Camp.

    Ashby: 1) draws a distinction between ID and creation science (Ashby is
    himself a YEC); and 2) points out that science already "accepts the
    proposition that intelligent design can be detected".

    Ashby's conclusion is that: "The reason for this double standard is that
    many fear the religious implications of such an investigation."

    Can any non-theist on this List who denies that design can be detected,
    honesty put their hand on their heart and disagree with this last point?

    Or do they agree with philosopher Thomas Nagel, who, in his book, "The
    Last Word (Oxford University Press, 1997) spoke of what he calls "the fear
    of religion itself", which he believes may be "responsible for much of the
    scientism and reductionism of our time, and who wrote:

            "I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself:
            I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some
            of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are
            religious believers. It isn't just that I don't believe in God and,
            naturally, hope that I'm right in my belief. It's that I hope there is no
            God! I don't want there to be a God; I don't want the universe to be
            like that." (p. 130)

    A Response to Priests
    Of Scientific Orthodoxy

    Leland Smith's criticism [August 25] of Joseph A. D'Agostino's "American
    Scene" article titled "Science vs. Darwin" (June 2) is merely a continuation
    of the propaganda war being waged against the intelligent design movement by
    the priests of scientific orthodoxy.

    He begins by falsely equating the intelligent design movement with creation
    science. The former asserts only that the data of nature, particularly in
    the biological realm, bear marks of intelligent design. It says nothing
    about the designer except that he (or they or she or it) was intelligent,
    and nothing about the means by which the design was implemented.
    Creation science, on the other hand, appeals to the Bible as authoritative
    revelation and seeks to interpret the data of nature consistently with that
    revelation.

    The difference between the two is clear and simple, yet countless apologists
    for Darwinism keep forcing the comparison. Smith even goes so far as to
    claim falsely that intelligent design involves a specific design scenario
    that "closely resembles the creation stories of ancient religions."
    Darwinists do this because casting intelligent design as a religious
    movement makes it an easier target. It is about politics, not science or
    truth.

    Smith boldly declares that "intelligent design may exist but cannot be
    examined for want of means." Now think about that. If there is no means to
    discern whether something has been intelligently designed, on what basis do
    paleontologists and archaeologists regularly conclude that markings,
    structures, and various artifacts were intelligently designed?
    Does not the search for extraterrestrial intelligence depend on the
    assumption that intelligently generated radio signals can be distinguished
    from naturally generated ones? Closer to home, can one determine by
    studying Mount Rushmore that it was intelligently designed, or must one rely
    solely on old news reports about its construction?

    Obviously, the scientific community accepts the proposition that intelligent
    design can be detected. So why does it cry foul when one hunts for design
    in biological systems or in the cosmos? The answer offered by Smith is that
    "we must insist that descriptions and explanations of life and our universe
    be devised from our four senses of perception that can be tested by suitable
    rigorous means." But if that criterion does not exclude from science other
    hunts for intelligence, why should it do so in this particular case?

    The reason for this double standard is that many fear the religious
    implications of such an investigation. It is true that evidence of
    intelligent design in life or in the cosmos may have religious implications,
    but it is unbecoming of science to allow fear of those implications to cause
    it to close its eyes by outlawing the investigation.

    The role of science is to follow the evidence wherever it leads and let the
    implications fall where they may. The intelligent design movement seeks to
    restore true science.

    Ashby Camp
    Tempe, Ariz.

    "Paley was not only right in asserting the existence of an analogy between
    life and machines, but was also remarkably prophetic in guessing that the
    technological ingenuity realized in living systems is vastly in excess of
    anything yet accomplished by man. ... The almost irresistible force of the
    analogy has completely undermined the complacent assumption, prevalent
    in biological circles over most of the past century, that the design
    hypothesis can be excluded on the grounds that the notion is fundamentally
    a metaphysical a priori concept and therefore scientifically unsound. On the
    contrary, the inference to design is a purely aposteriori induction based on
    a ruthlessly consistent application of the logic of analogy. The conclusion
    may have religious implications, but it does not depend on religious
    presuppositions." (Denton M.J., "Evolution: A Theory in Crisis," Burnett
    Books: London, 1985, p.341)