Re: Superb web site

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:34:30 EDT

    >Ralph
    >>Harmful mutations are "mistakes", beneficial mutations are
    >>"part of the design". Good cake. :) Why, though, are you so skeptical
    >>about the occurrence of beneficial mutations? Aren't they necessary to carry
    >>out the design? Or is it optional that the design be realized?
    >>ralph

    Bartvan:
    >Science has yet to identify a "beneficial mutation" about which there is no
    >controversy.

    beneficial mutatations are observed every day. They are utterly
    uncontroversial.

    >Personally, I believe they happen all the time in the few
    >organs still plastic enough to be evolving.

    the creationists have been hunting for some kind of observable barrier to
    evolution for a long time. If you know of one, you should probably e-mail
    them.

    >It is my belief that we constantly participate
    >in the evolution of our own brains by the use of free will. That is not a
    >scientific theory, just my own personal belief.

    that's fine. However the statements you made above are factual--or would be
    if they were true. They are statements about the world, the truth of which
    can be verified or not.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/