Re: irreducible simplicity

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 21:55:27 EDT

    At 04:09 PM 9/12/00 -0500, Stan wrote:
    >Hi Brian!
    >
    >You commented on Nelson's post:

    Hi Stan, sorry about my delay. I can't seem to keep up.

    First let me say that my previous argument was not really
    intended to be taken seriously. IOW, I do not believe you
    can reason as I did to the conclusion of no design. My
    point really was to illustrate the weakness of the argument
    by analogy. But since I started it :), I guess I owe you
    some kind of answer.

    [...]

    >OK, I'll bite. It is perhaps tempting to equate the concept
    >of a designed object with an object with "irreducible simplicity"
    >by the use of something like an Occam's razor principle. In other
    >words, a truly intelligent designer would only use a very simple
    >design, indeed perhaps the simplest possible one to achieve the
    >desired goal or function.

    Yes, I think simplicity of this type is a factor in engineering design,
    though perhaps not as important as some might suppose. But this
    brings up an important point that I wanted to throw out in another
    thread. If ID is to be useful I believe one has to identify the constraints
    on the designer. For example, Cuvier was undone because he would
    not admit to there being any constraints on the designer. This was
    a theological point of course. Since there are no constraints the
    designer would optimize each and every form to its function. Homologies
    were little known at this time of course. As more and more became
    known, Cuvier's idea became less and less credible.

    Today people talk about homologies as being a re-use of basic designs.
    Since engineers do this they argue it must be a design principle as if
    engineers were only concerned with design. But this is primarily an
    economic constraint rather than a design principle. Now here comes
    the weakness with the analogy argument. Shall we say that all designers
    are constrained in the same ways? How about one capable of designing
    the wonderfully complex organisms we see around us? Constrained in
    the same way as human designers? Of course not. So, if you want
    to make some headway you have to identify the constraints on the
    designer of living things.

    Another constraint of human engineers also pertains to simplicity.
    They want machines that are controllable and predictable. Thus
    they deliberately try, whenever possible, to avoid nonlinear ranges
    in material or mechanical behavior. One of the complexities of
    living things is that they are enormously nonlinear.

    >However, assuming I understand what you
    >mean by "simplicity", I would challenge this notion. The use
    >of "multiple redundancy" (in spacecraft systems design, for example)
    >is the work of an intelligent designer who has the foresight to
    >anticipate adverse environmental conditions that might threaten
    >the system's operation and to plan ahead of time for such contingencies.
    >Thus, mechanical devices with such "backup systems" seem to me
    >to be inherently less simple that those without such systems; yet
    >they also seem to be more highly designed (although I admit it is
    >hard to conceive of a quantitative index for "degree of design").

     From the point of view of information theory the increased complexity
    due to redundant structures is very slight.

    >It's not a very large leap from the human design concept of multiple
    >redundancy and the systems that employ this concept to the kinds of biological
    >systems that contain various "error-checking" mechanisms.

    Conceptually I would agree. But the complexity of the actual components
    seems to me to vastly exceed that in engineering designs.

    >So, I must be missing something...or perhaps it's not so
    >"simple" after all. Can you help me?

    No, its never simple :).

    >Thanks,

    You're welcome. Nice to hear from you again.

    >Stan Zygmunt
    >Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
    >Valparaiso University

    Brian Harper