Superb web site

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 16:59:05 EDT

    Ralph
    >Harmful mutations are "mistakes", beneficial mutations are
    >"part of the design". Good cake. :) Why, though, are you so skeptical
    >about the occurrence of beneficial mutations? Aren't they necessary to carry
    >out the design? Or is it optional that the design be realized?
    >ralph

    Hi Ralph:
    Science has yet to identify a "beneficial mutation" about which there is no
    controversy. Personally, I believe they happen all the time in the few
    organs still plastic enough to be evolving. The central nervous system -
    the brain. Science can't yet analyze the brain well enough to measure and
    identify the origin of thoughts and attitudes. Of course, there are the
    sociobiologists who declare thoughts and attitudes to be the hard-wired
    results of "random mutation and natural selection", but most of them discount
    the existence of free will. It is my belief that we constantly participate
    in the evolution of our own brains by the use of free will. That is not a
    scientific theory, just my own personal belief.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan