Re: Blood clotting and IC'ness?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 12:28:05 EDT

    In a message dated 9/15/2000 9:10:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << << FMA:
    If you believe that IC is still a reliable detector of design, can you show
    how it can exclude a natural pathway as a designer?

    Nelson:
    An irreducibly complex systems can only be built simultaneously. Thus
    physical precursors are eliminated as the designer. It can not be built
    gradually , step by step.

    FMA:
    You are avoiding the question.

    Nelson:
    No I answered it directly.

    FMA:
    You presume that IC systems can only be built
    simultaneously, something not supported by actual evidence and you presume
    that IC systems cannot arise gradually, again not supported by evidence.

    Nelson:
    The actual system is the evidence. All it's parts must be present or none of
    the parts are present. You can see this with chaperone machines:

    Still avoiding the issue I notice. You presume that the evidence shows that
    this is the case rather than show that this is the case. Since ID does not
    say anything about the designer, they can simply not exclude natural forces
    as the designer. Design might be infered from IC or Dembski's inference, but
    that leaves us to identify the designer. Wesley has shown that ID cannot
    reliably exclude natural forces as the designer. Your claim has become
    circular: IC systems are designed because they are IC. That presumes that
    only designers (and in your case non-natural designers) can create IC systems
    but as has been shown this is incorrect. Even Behe admits that such a
    possibility exists. Therefor an all inclusive claim that IC systems cannot be
    naturally designed is disproven and every case has to be looked at one by one
    to see if there is evidence that it was designed.

    << "whenever hsp70 was present in a genome, hsp40 and grpE were also found if
    enough sequencing was done; conversely, genome sequencing has demonstrated
    that if the hsp70 gene is absent, hsp40 and grpE are also absent."

    What do you think this shows?

    <<
    << Nelson:
    As I illustrated with the Dawkins discussion of the 91 membranes, it
    succesfully eliminates natural selection.

    FMA:
    Nope, it merely eliminates a particular pathway of natural selection.
    Furthermore, do you propose to say that elimination of natural selection is
    evidence of design? Are there no other natural pathways possible?

    Nelson:
    What natural pathways do you propose? Also I have said many times that
    design itself is demonstrated in these systems, it is a specified
    arrangement of parts.

    Sure, and you have also failed to show that this precludes a natural
    designer. Specified arrangement of parts like the circle of fungi hardly is
    reliable evidence of design. What natural pathways do I propose? It's
    interesting to see how you are trying to revert the requirement of evidence.
    I would say that since ID seems to infer design based on the exclusion of
    natural pathways that it is up to them to show that no such pathways exist.
    But science has shown potential pathways leading to IC systems. Does this
    apply to the individual cases of IC? Perhaps, perhaps not, that's why more
    research is needed before design can reliably infered. So far design is
    mainly infered from the absence of evidence.

    << <<
    FMA:
    Not really. All you are attacking is the strawman that natural selection can
    only take direct routes.

    Nelson:
    Indirect routes are indistinguishable from direct ones and invoke pure
    random chance. They are non-Darwinian.

    FMA:
    Unsupported assertion and actually contradicted by the evidence. ]

    Nelson:
    What evidence?

    The links I have provided to talk.origins and how IC systems could arise
    naturally. But could you at least try to support your assertion? And even if
    they are non-Darwinian, they are still natural and could apply. How do you
    suggest to reject these pathways?

    << FMA:
    Indirect
    routes seem to be the way much of evolution happens.

    Nelson:
    Can you give me an example of an indirect route that can lead to an IC
    system and what evidence supports it?

    FMA:
    Look at the many
    homologous systems found for instance. And even if they are non-Darwinian,
    they are still natural.

    Nelson:
    No homologous systems have nothing to do with how natural selection/random
    mutation can produce an IC system. And they are Darwinian, homologous
    structures are indicative of common descent.

    Cool so there might indeed be Darwinian evidence of pathways to IC systems. I
    refer to the flagellum and their homologous nature with type II and type III
    secretion systems. Homologous systems have a lot to do with how IC systems
    could arise, and show how indirect pathways could be used.

    <<
    << FMA:
    Even Behe admits that there are indirect routes,
    although he seems to reject them without much supporting argument and
    evidence.

    Nelson:
    Another handwave.