RE: Flagellum Re: Definitions of ID

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 12:02:11 EDT

    In a message dated 9/13/2000 8:54:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << FMA:
    But perhaps you can tell us how ID designed the system?

    Nelson:
    I discussed in my response to Susan some of the methods intelligent agency
    uses to produce molecular machines.

    FMA:
    We are all aware how intelligent agency can be used to produce something but
    can we from this conclude how ID designed the system without reading the
    papers? Can we distinguish natural causes from non-natural causes?

    Nelson:
    Sure, I don't see the point of not looking at relevant designs but I can
    make a design quite easily.

    << FMA:
    Avoiding the question I notice.

    Nelson:
    Nope, I showed exactly how intelligent agency was able to produce a
    molecular machine and how I can use one system to completely understand
    another.

    FMA:
    Sure, that follows from the laws of physics. How did ID come into play here
    other than through the obvious interventions? I can show you how an
    intelligent agency can cause mushrooms to grow in circles, does this mean
    that such circles are always caused by intelligent agency? Or does this show
    that we cannot exclude without further evidence natural force as the
    intelligent agency.

    Nelson:
    I can say the same thing about evolution. What intelligent design seeks to
    do is avoid apparentness.

    << FMA:
    ID is sterile in that it does not give any
    other explanation than "in absence of an identified evolutionary pathway,
    it's intelligent design". But no details about how, where, when, why etc.

    Nelson:
    The "how" has been answered. The "how" is what it's all about. Multiple
    parts added together that adhere to a goal. You can look at how intelligent

    FMA:
    No evidence is provided that there was a goal. Perhaps in hindsight but that
    is not evidence of a goal.

    Nelson:
    No, we can look at the evidence and see goal-oriented structures, such as
    the genome.

    a<< gency works and that is what I showed in several posts. Intelligent
    design
    isn't the default, it's not about "absence" it's about "sterility" of a
    Darwinian explanation.

    FMA:
    ID is infered from the absence of a Darwinian explanation and that is
    evidence of sterility of Darwinian explanation?

    Nelson:
    No, ID is not inferred from the absence of a Darwinian explanation. It is
    inferred from the causal patterns that are indicative of intelligence.

    FMA:
     What happened to "we don't
    know yet". After all we do know how natural pathways to IC systems can
    exist.

    Nelson:
    It's not about "we don't know yet", I'd say monkeys were designed if that
    was the case. It's about eliminating natural pathways and establishing
    intelligent pathways.

    << FMA:
    Lacking such predictions, can we conclude that ID is falsified as well? See
    how evolution leads to predictions and further research? What would ID do?

    Nelson:
    It does not lack such predictions. One can use the design principle of one
    machine , to predict the principle of another.

    FMA:
    You presume design. Heck without design inference the researchers could have
    done the same.

    Nelson:
    Nevertheless, establishing the utility of one theory has nothing to do with
    any other theory.

    << FMA:
    Not really since this presumes that evidence of such machines exists in the
    biological IC system. One cannot compare apples and oranges. Just like Behe
    uses a poor analogy of a mouse trap for IC systems.

    Nelson:
    I gave you such machines, the clotting and the flagellum. How is the
    mousetrap a poor analogy? See what I mean by handwaving?

    FMA:
    I thought you mentioned that IC applies to biological systems only.

    Nelson:
    Behe's point about IC systems is relevant to biological systems because
    Darwinian pathways are sterile when trying to make these systems.

    FMA:
     So why is
    the mouse trap relevant.

    Nelson:
    It is an example of irreducible complexity.

    FMA:
     Also clotting and the flagellum might seem IC and
    might even be IC but that does not show that they were designer.

    Nelson:
    Of course it does. I observe intelligent agents making these systems and
    relize that they cannot be made naturally. That is my inference.

    FMA:
     Can Behe
    show that there is no natural pathway to these structures?
     Can Behe even show
    independent evidence of the design of such systems?
    Nope. IMHO of course

    Nelson:
    You are entitled to your opinion, but if you want to propose that these
    systems evolved you are going to have to give me a pathway to work with.