Re: Flagellum Re: Definitions of ID

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 23:35:11 EDT

    In a message dated 9/12/2000 2:26:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    nalonso@megatribe.com writes:

    << Cliff:
    Your original definition made no mention of exclusively for biological
    concepts.

    Nelson:
    That is what Behe's thesis was all about. Darwin stated:

    Fascinating. I guess the part about the ICness of the mousetrap was just to
    be ignored?

    << "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not
    possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my
    theory would absolutely break down."

    Thus Behe offered an Irreducibly Complex system as his exhibit A and offered
    an explanation for it.

    Not really. He merely claimed: We don't know how it happened therefor it is
    designed.

    << Cliff:
    You say that bacterial flagellum are IC, but how do they replicate
    themselves or undergo mutations? They don't. That happens to the DNA. As
    I said, it appears that IC can be arbitraily assigned to whatever you want
    at whatever level of organization you want.

    Nelson:
    How does that follow? The flagellum is a biological system which Darwinian
    theory holds was selected for, that is one of the things I said. Note also I
    said that your atoms may or may not be irreducibly complex, but it is
    irrelevant to Behe's thesis. This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of
    Behe's point about irreducibly complex systems.

    Really? So far I notice that Behe was therefor misunderstanding the ICness of
    the mousetrap?

    >Crystal:

    << >What parts does it have? What is it's function? If you can assign it to a
    >function, can you conduct the "remove one part and it ceases functioning"
    >test? Careful analysis of crystals show that they are really just
    repetitive
    >patterns. "Order" instead of "Complexity". Why would you call this IC?

    Cliff:
    A crystal is composed of repeating molecules and atoms which give a crystal
    its characteristic shape, color, texture, and hardness.

    Nelson:
    This doesn't answer my question. What are the parts that make the single
    system and what is it's function? What part can I remove from the crystal
    that will render the system functionless?

    Who knows what it's function is? It will stop being a crystal when you for
    isntance remove the electrons and bang...

    << Cliff:
      Take away one of those molecules and atoms and its characteristics change.
    Sounds like IC to me.

    Nelson:
    It's characteristics change? Doesn't sound IC at all. Recall the definition,
    does it say anything about chacteristics or shapes or anything like that?
    What is it's function? To be a crystal? If so taking away molecules does not
    render the system functionless.

    Of course, the crystal ceases to exist.

    <<
    Cliff:
      What is a crystal's function? What is a dog's function? What is my
    function? Isn't that just another philosophical way of saying "Why am I
    here?" Can science determine anything's function?

    Nelson:
    Nope. The flagellum's function is motility. The mousetrap's function is to
    catch mice. Function is extremely important in biology because it is what
    natural selection uses. This is what Dawkin's meant when he talked about the
    eye. He said 80% of an eye is better functionally then 30% of an eye and
    will be selected for. There is nothing philosophical about it.

    True but there is nothing philisophical about ICness of the crystal.

    << Cliff:
    If I turned on a radio and heard a continuous stream of
    SOS...SOS...SOS...SOS..., then according to IC I should just assume that it
    is a continuous repetitious pattern that conveys no information and has no
    function.

    Nelson:
    No you would see that it is sequence specific and irreducible to it's
    letters. Just as UUU in DNA means something irreducible to it's individual
    bases.

    So the non-random pattern of a pulsar is irreducible to it's periodicity?

    << Cliff:
    The point of this is that you have arbitrarily thrown out the crystal as IC
    because you don't understand the language.

    Nelson:
    That is a leap in logic. You cannot call something IC only because you want
    to. There is no function and you have admitted that you can remove it's
    parts.

    And it stops being a crystal. The leap in logic is excluding non biological
    systems. Behe does not do this.

    <<
    Cliff:
    It doesn't fit your definition, which is rather vague,

    Nelson:
    I don't see how it is vague at all. I am able to determine which discrete
    systems are IC and which are not.

    Not really. You already admit being confused about the crystal.

    << Cliff:
    If Dembski or Behe could quantify any of their statements, then most of the
    criticisms of ID would go up in the air. But, they haven't, I don't know if
    they can, and it certainly appears that they aren't even trying.

    Nelson:
    One cannot demand precise definitions in Biology, as Doolittle has pointed
    out.But the definition of IC is specific and useful.

    Is it? I have shown that ICness is not very useful. 1) It has been shown that
    natural pathways exist to an IC system 2) ID cannot exclude a natural
    designer 3) IC ness is infered based on absence of evidence 4) no independent
    evidence of design of these systems exist.