Re: Question to FMAJ

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 22:55:41 EDT

    In a message dated 9/12/2000 9:39:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Bertvan@aol.com writes:

    << You not only don't believe in design; you are offended that anyone else
    believe it. Right? As an ID supporter I might agree that naturalistic
    explanations might be possible. The question is, which are the most likely
    explanations? Do you allow any difference of opinion there?

    Wrong. I do 'believe in design' and I can see some very interesting
    applications for ID. What I am pointing out to you is that ID does not seem
    to be adding much to a scientific explanation: "an unidentified designer with
    unidentified powers used unidentified means to create something". Especially
    when design is infered from absence of evidence rather than from independent
    evidence.

    But ID's problems do not end here. Presuming that ID can reliably detect
    design, and the evidence is lacking and there is even evidence that it
    cannot, it still cannot identify the designer. This means that it cannot
    exclude a natural designer. The use of the words "intelligent" and "design"
    seem to indicate that it could but remember ID is merely a placeholder, we
    should be careful to not let us be guided by the words intelligent and design
    to conclude that traditional forms of intelligence and design are only
    included. Natural forces can be as good intelligent designers as any, at
    least ID cannot exclude them.

    Furthermore, Behe's ID, (although a limited form) based on IC of biological
    systems, has been falsified since it has been shown how IC systems can arise
    through natural steps.

    To me it seems very obvious that there are plenty of problems with ID. Do I
    "allow" any difference of opinion? Of course, I would hardly disallow such
    nor could I disallow such but I will also share my opinion and comment on the
    issues raised.

    Your comments suggest that you are upset to hear people 'attack' ID. As long
    as ID is a faith related issue, as it seems to be to you, then there is no
    real problem but if ID is presented as scientific, an empirical marker or
    such then it's time to look at its claims and show that so far ID seems to
    have failed.