Re: ID vs. ?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 14:08:11 EDT

    SE: This accommodation works when Cliff can keep his public and private lives

    separated. However tensions arise when Christians (like Dembski) appear
    who have reached a different accommodation between their science and
    their Christian faith, namely rejecting the materialistic-naturalistic
    philosophy underlying modern science in general, and biological science in
    particular.

    That Dembski incorporates his Christian belief in his science is nothing new.
    For many scientists its quite easy to accomodate faith and science. That
    Dembski and others reject a working philosophy that neither admits nor deny
    his Designer seems somewhat unnecessary. Especially since they offer no
    working alternative.

    [...]
    SE:
    The tensions get even worse when those Christians (like Dembski), argue
    that there is independent scientific evidence from nature for design and
    hence those scientific positions which claim there is no design, ie.
    Darwinism, are false.

    Steve is still confused about what Darwinism claims and does not claim.
    Perhaps he wants to claim that Darwinists claim that there is no design? But
    Steve also quoted that design can incorporate from religion to evolutionary
    mechanisms. So does Darwinism claims that there is no design when design is
    defined as such? Indeed the weakness of ID is that it has reduced the meaning
    of design by including natural forces as the designer. As such I doubt that
    Darwinism claims that there is no such design. Of course this also assumes
    that there is a reliable detector of design, something yet to be shown.
    Furthermore what problem is there for Chris and other scientists when ID
    cannot exclude natural forces as the designer?
    Nothing. Other than the obvious question: So what is the value of ID then if
    it cannot exclude and can include anything?

    [...]

    SE: That is, they should ask themselves whether the fact that they spend
    their
    time and energy attacking their fellow Christians who are arguing against
    anti-Christian philosophies like materialism, naturalism and Darwinism, and
    defending their atheist/agnostics colleagues who hold those philosophies, is

    not good evidence that they themselves have in fact been taken captive by
    those "hollow and deceptive" philosophies?

    You seem to be still confused about Darwinism. Darwinism and the underlying
    foundation of science are not anti-Christian and I believe it is important
    that we Christians do spend our time straightening out our fellow Christians
    who argue against this. Perhaps that is the evidence Steve is looking for?