WWYD - What Would You Do to make evolution work??

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 00:06:18 EDT

    To all the ID theorists and others who have problems accepting the general
    principle of variation-and-filtering evolution as the way life arose and/or
    developed on Earth:

    What would you do if you had God-like (or at least god-like) powers and
    desired to make a planet as much like Earth was about 3.9 billion years ago
    be able to evolutionarily generate life and have that life develop in at
    least a general way to a state roughly like today's life? What would you do
    to the laws of physics and chemistry to make it work? What would you do to
    adjust the early Earth environment to help make evolution work? The idea is
    that, once you have set things up, it is feasible for life to come into
    existence and evolve richly without any further intervention, and without
    violating such global laws as the conservation of matter/energy or the law
    of gravity. You may fiddle with the laws of atomic physics and thus with
    chemistry (or you can just specify your changes in terms of chemistry
    alone). You may fiddle with things like ratios of available substances, if
    you think that there wouldn't have been enough of some element. You may
    fiddle with the temperature (almost certainly it was in fact *much* warmer
    than it is now, I would guess, because of the fact that the Earth was so
    recently formed and was still cooling (as it continues to do today, as a
    ball of molten matter)).

    Since I think life *did* evolve naturally (*after* considerable evolution
    of self-replicating collections of non-living molecules), my version of the
    question for myself has been to ask what would I do to make it work
    *better* (so that, for example, more-sophisticated life-forms might have
    evolved a billion or two billion years sooner, and have progressed much
    further in terms of filling niches and generating complexity, etc.). I will
    not, of course, give my views on this until after I see what others have to
    say, but, suffice it to say that I do not think the early Earth was in fact
    ideal, or that things have necessarily gone as well as they might (from my
    perspective). Also, I need to work out what my answer *is* before I can
    give it :-)