RE: Definitions of ID

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 18:10:34 EDT

    >>Nelson:
    >>No he ceases to explore them because evolutionary pathways are sterile,
    >and
    >>it is better explained by intelligence.
    >
    >Susan:
    >sterile? You (and Behe, of course) know that in advance? Without looking?
    >What does it mean to find an evolutionary pathway sterile? It becomes a
    >pathway with no further implications?
    >
    >Nelson:
    >Are you saying the only way to falsify evolutionary theory would be to
    >to know all explanations in advance?

    Susan:
    actually I think that is the exact opposite of what I was saying.

    Nelson:
    Ok. I might need some clarification then.

    >We know how natural selection works and
    >it cannot select non-functional precursors to a system.

    Susan:
    true. However, it is very common for anatomical features to be co-opted for
    other uses. There is nothing in evolutionary theory that says evolution
    must be linear. Quite the contrary. Since it is so opportunistic it would
    make sense for evolutionary pathways to be roundabout.

    Matt:
    Co-option would predict variation among the parts of IC systems.And that the
    parts would be capable of being shaped or formed. All the parts to IC
    systems are universal and well-matched. Co-option would be completely
    random, something Darwin wanted to distance himself from.

    >>Susan:
    >> That's one of the main
    >>objections to ID: it is stultifying to scientific inquiry.
    >>

    >>Nelson:
    >>Only if you equate "I understand this" with "It arose naturally".
    >>That is simply not the case. One can use ID to understand any biological
    >>feature.
    >
    >Susan:
    >give me an example. Can I assume you've read Gould's essay "The Panda's
    >Thumb"?
    >
    >Nelson:
    >I read a great example once,where one design principle was used to learn
    >about a completely unrelated system.A system that is like the F-ATPase, I
    >can predict that, given it is IC, that I will find all of the F-ATPase
    >subunits will be found in every bacterial genome employing the same
    >mechanism and that similar systems will employ the same mechanism.
    >
    >If we test this with an unrelated but similar molecular machine,
    >what will we find? The cytoskeleton actually works exactly like the F-
    >ATPase.Both bind ATP. And just like the parts of the F-ATPase, we
    >find that the cytoskeleton needs minimal parts to function. You can
    >then safely hypothesize, that if F-ATPase binds to GTP, that the
    >cytoskeleton will bind to GTP. And if that was my prediction, that
    >would be true.And if the F-ATPase uses only one protein to hydrolyze
    >it, I would predict that the cytoskeleton only uses one protein to
    >hydrolyze it. And that would be true, it only uses the beta tubulin.

    Susan:
    thank you for explaining this in such simple layman's terms! It sounds
    like features of one system are used in similar ways by another system. Is
    that what you are saying? And how does that prove supernatural
    intervention? One would predict the same thing to happen if all organisms
    share a comon ancestor.

    Nelson:
    I am not trying to prove supernatural intervention or discredit the utility
    of another theory. I am simply speaking of the utility of a design theory.
    The use of the design principle in one system lead me to complete knowledge
    of the design principle of another system. This is a prime example of "I
    understand it" having nothing to do with "It arose naturally." Perhaps a
    simpler example would be a review of a paper I recently read which
    illustrates this. I'll simply quote myself:

    Borrowing From Biology to Power the Petite
    Robert F. Service
    Science 1999 January 1; 283: 27-28.

    "Okay, so molecular vehicles are pure fantasy. But their immobility is a
    problem that's all too real for would-be builders of nano-sized devices.
    Such devices are so small, there's no obvious way to power them. Now,
    researchers are turning to biology for what may be a possible solution:
    molecular motors from living things."

    Here a paper is discussed on how a team of scientists actually used the
    design principle of the F1-ATPase, to build a nano-device.

    "For their molecular motor, Montemagno and his colleagues turned to one of
    the cell's heavy lifters: ATPase, a complex of nine types of proteins that
    work together to generate ATP. While tiny--it measures just 12 nanometers
    across and 12 high--this cellular motor is remarkably sophisticated,
    containing a cylinder of six proteins surrounding a central shaft. ATPase
    converts the movement of protons within the cell's energy powerhouse, the
    mitochondrion, into a mechanical rotation of the shaft, a motion that helps
    catalyze the formation of ATP. But the motor can also run in reverse,
    burning ATPs to rotate the shaft and move protons."

    The team then changed two of the proteins in the F-ATPase motor to see if it
    could move actual objects. One so that it could stick to metal, the other to
    act as a "holder" for the beads they were to move.

    "To make the first change, the team added an amino acid sequence loaded with
    histidine, which binds tightly to metals, to the base of the proteins that
    form the motor's cylinder. Next they used electron beam lithography to
    pattern an array of nickel islands--each roughly 40 nanometers across--atop
    a glass microscope cover slip. When they then spritzed water on top to keep
    the proteins happy and added the motors, the base of the cylinders bound to
    the nickel islands, causing the motors to stand upright."

    They then added ATP fuel to the solution and the thing started twirling for
    almost two hours. He then goes on to say that if the motor was as big as a
    person it would be able to twirl a telephone pole at 1 revolution per
    second. I must concur with Montemagno when he says "It was seriously cool".

    They eventually want to attach magnetic bars. Twirling these bars could
    actually generate a magentic field and electric currents. This type of
    generation could be used in many different ways to power devices.

    They also borrowed from a cellular monorail which consists of microtubules
    and kinesin. These two parts act as "rails" where molecular motors can be
    lined up.

    "In cells, the kinesin motors latch onto the fixed microtubules and churn
    like steam engines from one end of the line to the other, ferrying molecular
    cargo such as proteins and lipids. But for their experiment, Vogel and her
    colleagues John Dennis and Jonathan Howard reversed these roles, fastening
    kinesin motors to a surface and having them shuttle microtubules down the
    line from one motor to the next."

    Thus the claim that ID "stifles scientific inquiry" has no basis.

    >>Susan:
    >> The purpose of
    >>ID (and IC) is to "prove" the existence of the gods is a scientific fact.
    >>
    >>Nelson:
    >>No it is to detect intelligent agency and distinguish it from natural
    >>process.
    >
    >Susan:
    >how? can you name a couple of processes that aren't natural and a couple
    >that are and explain to me how they are different?
    >
    >Nelson:
    >Natural selection and random mutation would be a natural process. This
    >selects functional intermediates from simpler ancestors without foresight
    or
    >planning.The "Waterfall method" and "Feedback Control" are two engineering
    >principles. These have a goal in mind and purpose, with future usefulness.

    Susan:
    I'm not sure this answers my question. Neither the "Waterfall method" or
    "feedback control" are biological systems. We are talking about
    supernatural intervention in biological design. I'm looking for clear
    examples of such.

    Nelson:
    I was simply showing you two natural processes and two design processes.But
    you are mistaken when you say "feedback control" is not used in biological
    systems.

    "The circadian clock of cyanobacteria"
    Bioessays 2000 Jan;22(1):10-5
    "Although kai genes do not share any homology with clock genes so far
    identified in eukaryotes, analysis of their expression suggests that a
    negative feedback control of kaiC expression by KaiC generates the circadian
    oscillation and that KaiA functions as a positive factor to sustain this
    oscillation. "

    Ironically this mechanism was borrows from engineers.

    >>Susan:
    >>If you can do that, you can get around the major legal roadblock to having
    >>Christian dogma taught in public schools--in science class, no less.
    >>

    >>Nelson:
    >>That is a clear cut unsubstantiated assertion.
    >
    >Susan:
    >:-) really? There are several Supreme Court decisions over the last several
    >years that substantiate my claim. There are several areas of the country
    >where conservative Christian pressure is being brought to bear to teach
    >"ID" in classrooms.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >Please don't tell me you are talking about Freiler v. Tangipahoa Parish.
    >That was not about intelligent design theory.

    Susan:
    Unfortunately I can't find the dratted reference to the Supreme Court's
    decision on some creationist case or other where they mention ID
    specifically as just another verison of creationism. I've seen it, and
    thought I bookmarked it but now I can't find it.

    Nelson:
    I doubt you will find any case related to intelligent design theory in
    classrooms because of Christian pressure.

    >Nelson:
    >Well I can show you a designed system by an intelligent agent and an
    >undesigned system. Pseudogenes and the bacterial flagellum. One is
    >irreducible to it's parts and has function, the other has no genetic
    >function whatsoever.

    Susan:
    so it's pseudogenes that are natural and bacterial flagellum are the
    product of supernatural intervention? OK. Unfortunately I'm running out of
    time, I'll get back to you on that.

    Nelson:
    I am saying intelligent intervention. Whether it's supernatural is
    irrelevant.