Re:Definitions of ID

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@megatribe.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 13:47:13 EDT

    >> Hi Chris:
    >>Saying "nature" did something is no more informative than saying god did
    >it.
    >

    >>The only questions science can try to answer is how they did it. ( either
    >>"god" or this guy, "nature") Most IDs do not deny evolution, they are
    >>skeptical of "accidental evolution"-- some process occurring without plan,
    >>purpose or design.
    >
    >Susan:
    >as Chris and I (and others) have pointed out that is religion, not science.
    >Plan and purpose are not detectible by science--people who wish to hold
    >these views as religious beliefs are perfectly free to do so. In fact they
    >have a constitutionally guaranteed right to do so. However, "most IDs" want
    >those religious views accepted and taught as science and they simply can't
    >be without violating church and state separation.
    >
    >Nelson:
    >I don't see how the evidence of the irreducible complexity of the bacterial
    >flagellum has anything to do with the seperation of church and state?

    And Susan Replies:

    Behe ceases to explore possible evolutionary pathways for his IC systems
    with the simple pronouncement "God did it."

    Nelson:
    No he ceases to explore them because evolutionary pathways are sterile, and
    it is better explained by intelligence.

    Susan:
     That's one of the main
    objections to ID: it is stultifying to scientific inquiry.

    Nelson:
    Only if you equate "I understand this" with "It arose naturally".
    That is simply not the case. One can use ID to understand any biological
    feature.

    Susan:
     The purpose of
    ID (and IC) is to "prove" the existence of the gods is a scientific fact.

    Nelson:
    No it is to detect intelligent agency and distinguish it from natural
    process.

    Sorry, I just realized I was sending this through personal e-mail.

    Susan:
    If you can do that, you can get around the major legal roadblock to having
    Christian dogma taught in public schools--in science class, no less.

    Nelson:
    That is a clear cut unsubstantiated assertion.

    Susan:
    This
    is one of the major objectives of the Discovery Institute which, at least
    in part, bankrolls Behe, Dembski and Johnson.

    Nelson:
    It seems like your only "objection" to ID is an ad hominem with no basis in
    fact.