Re: Definitions of ID

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 09:26:33 EDT

    >Bertvan:
    >Saying "nature" did something is no more informative than saying god did
    >it.

    I disagree. Nature allows us to watch what's going on. The gods tend to be
    a lot more secretive.

    When a mutation occurs a nonnaturalist can say:
    "God caused that"
    "Aliens caused that"
    "My next door neighbor caused that (with psychic power she doesn't know she
    has)"
    "A German Shephard in Minnesota caused that (with psychic power he doesn't
    know he has)"

    all a naturalist can say is:
    "It happened. It *appears* to be random."

    Watching something happen--with or without speculation about what caused
    it--is remendously more informative than the unsubstantiated speculation
    about causes. ID is speculation about causes.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/