Re: ID vs.?

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 08:26:36 EDT

    Correction. I wrote:

    >From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    [...]
    >>CH>However, that is not what the leaders of the ID movement are engaged
    in.
    >>>They call ID science, but refuse to hold to the standards of science.
    >>
    >>What does Cliff think Mike Behe's irreducible complexity hypothesis
    >>is? He has proposed it as a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, and
    >>his scientific critics have in fact subjected it to scientific
    >>criticism:
    >
    >I note that, despite my lengthy explanations, Stephen *still* doesn't
    >understand the meaning of falsifiability.

    I didn't read Stephen's paragraph carefully enough. Since it followed on
    from Cliff's paragraph on ID, and since Behe himself usually talks in
    terms of falsification of ID, I assumed Stephen was talking about the ID
    hypothesis, which I have already shown is not falsifiable. Now I see that
    Stephen was talking about Behe's *IC* hypothesis.

    Now, I don't think Behe ever refers to an "IC hypothesis" as such, so it's
    not entirely clear to me what Stephen means by it. Rather than ask others to
    provide clarification of what this hypothesis is, it would be more
    appropriate for Stephen to say what *he* thinks it is, since he's the one
    supporting it. But, I doubt he'll do so. I guess Stephen means something
    like this: "Certain biological systems possess a property called irreducible
    complexity, and systems with this property are necessarily the result of
    intelligent design."

    To falsify this hypothesis, it would be necessary to demonstrate that a
    particular IC system evolved without ID. Given that the mechanism of ID is
    totally unspecified and is allowed (by its proponents) to be supernatural,
    such a demonstration is impossible. No matter how carefully organisms were
    observed, it would never be possible to establish that no intelligent
    designer interfered in their evolution. A demonstration of the theoretical
    possibility of an IC system evolving naturally would be possible, but I
    don't think this would count as a falsification, and I'm sure it wouldn't be
    accepted by IDers. Behe could always claim that such a demonstration was not
    detailed or realistic enough to convince him.

    Furthermore, for the IC hypothesis to be falsified, it would be necessary to
    have a more rigorous definition of IC, which would enable us to definitively
    say whether a certain system is IC or not. Otherwise, it is always open to
    Behe to argue that the system in question is not IC after all. (It would, of
    course, be embarrassing for him if this were a system that he'd already
    declared to be IC, but I doubt that that would stop him from changing his
    mind if necessary.)

    Incidentally, I wonder whether Stephen deliberately chose to mention the IC
    hypothesis rather than the ID hypothesis, or if he simply failed to
    differentiate between the two. Probably the latter, as this is the kind of
    mistake that Behe himself makes:

    "In fact, my argument for intelligent design is open to direct experimental
    rebuttal. Here is a thought experiment that makes the point clear. In
    Darwin's Black Box (Behe 1996) I claimed that the bacterial flagellum was
    irreducibly complex and so required deliberate intelligent design. The flip
    side of this claim is that the flagellum can't be produced by natural
    selection acting on random mutation, or any other unintelligent process. To
    falsify such a claim, a scientist could go into the laboratory, place a
    bacterial species lacking a flagellum under some selective pressure (for
    mobility, say), grow it for ten thousand generations, and see if a
    flagellum--or any equally complex system--was produced. If that happened, my
    claims would be neatly disproven.(1)"
    (http://www.discovery.org/embeddedRecentArticles.php3?id=445)

    Note that Behe confuses rebuttal of his *argument* for intelligent design
    with falsification of the ID hypothesis (the title of this section is "Is
    Intelligent Design Falsifiable?"). He then puts forward a more limited
    hypothesis for falsification: "that the flagellum can't be produced by
    natural selection acting on random mutation, or any other unintelligent
    process." Now, if we take only this more limited hypothesis, and if Behe is
    prepared to deny the possibility of an unknown designer interfering in the
    experiment he suggests (and I don't know what the basis for such a denial
    would be), then this hypothesis is falsifiable in principle (though probably
    not in practice, since the amount of time and number of organisms available
    to the experimenters would be miniscule in comparison to those that were
    available in the wild).

    The remainder of my response still stands...

    >Not that falsifiability alone is
    >sufficient to make a claim scientific anyway--evidence is required.
    >Stephen's idea that scientific criticism of an argument makes that argument
    >(or the hypothesis it purports to support) scientific seems to be on a par
    >with his idea that, for a theory to be considered scientific, there must be
    >a telling argument *against* it. In other words, it's nonsense.

    Richard Wein (Tich)