Re: ID vs.?

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 04:52:24 EDT

    Sorry, I couldn't resist jumping in....

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    [...]
    >If that is the case, then Cliff sure does gives a good imitation of it! The
    fact is
    >that if Cliff is truly a Darwinist, then he would *have* to have
    *everything*
    >"against the idea of ID" because if ID were true, then Darwinism, as a
    >general theory, would be false.

    That depends on the definition of ID (which we're still waiting for).
    Darwinism (which I take to mean mainstream evolutionary theory) is only
    concerned with biological evolution. ID could be detected in the origin of
    the universe, or of the first organism, without invalidating Darwinism.
    [...]
    >It is a tautology to speak of a "belief based upon faith". If Cliff has a
    >"belief" it must be based on *evidence*.

    Perhaps Stephen would care to correct this apparent typo. Presumably he
    means that a belief must be based on *faith* (I don't agree by the way).

    If, on the other hand, Stephen really does think that a belief must be based
    on evidence, then "belief based
    on faith" is not a tautology but an oxymoron.

    >And if Cliff has a belief in creation by "some supernatural deity", based
    on
    >the evidence of nature, then Cliff has made a design inference.
    >
    >And it is a "scientific" inference, even if not formulated rigorously. It
    is the
    >task of the ID movement to give scientific rigour to such design
    inferences.

    >CH>I would be thrilled if the basic hypothesis of ID was shown to
    >>be scientifically valid.
    >
    >Not if Cliff wants to be a consistent Darwinist he wouldn't be. Darwinism
    is
    >the claim that a "mindless procedure could produce design without a
    >designer":

    Stephen seems unable to recognise the fact that some people can change their
    opinions, based on new evidence. He apparently assumes that people *want* to
    be Darwinists despite the evidence, rather than that they *are* Darwinists
    because of the evidence. Perhaps, if genuine scientific evidence of ID in
    biological evolution were forthcoming, then Cliff would cease to be a
    Darwinist.
    [...]
    >CH>However, that is not what the leaders of the ID movement are engaged in.
    >>They call ID science, but refuse to hold to the standards of science.
    >
    >What does Cliff think Mike Behe's irreducible complexity hypothesis
    >is? He has proposed it as a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, and
    >his scientific critics have in fact subjected it to scientific
    >criticism:

    I note that, despite my lengthy explanations, Stephen *still* doesn't
    understand the meaning of falsifiability. Not that falsifiability alone is
    sufficient to make a claim scientific anyway--evidence is required.
    Stephen's idea that scientific criticism of an argument makes that argument
    (or the hypothesis it purports to support) scientific seems to be on a par
    with his idea that, for a theory to be considered scientific, there must be
    a telling argument *against* it. In other words, it's nonsense.

    [...]

    Richard Wein (Tich)