Re: Johnson as Expert (was Experts Worry...)

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:02:53 -0700

At 01:34 PM 09/21/1999 -0400, Howard wrote:

>Yes, Art, Johnson IS thereby attacking my religion. But it is NOT the
>religion of naturalism, it is the Christian religion, which leads me to
>have high expectations of the giftedness of the Creation to which God has
>given being. It is the Christian religion that leads me to look at the
>robust formational economy of the Creation and see it as none other than a
>vivid manifestation of God's creativity (in conceptualizing ro rich a menu
>of formational capabilities) and God's generosity (in God's willingness to
>give such full being to the Creation).

While one may not appreciate or relish such verbal attacks, to say as you
do, that they are antichristian is to characterize Christianity as
Naturalism, an opinion I, for one do not share. While you distance
yourself from Naturalism, that is, after all, the enemy to which Johnson
directs his attacks, and it seems to me that you have put your definition
of Christianity directly in his path. While you seem to define yourself a
scenario that makes sense to you, you should not make the mistake of
thinking that your view of the world is the only, or even necessarily, the
best one. Perhaps you could have couched your terms in a way that did not
make a purported attack against your particular read on Christianity, an
attack against Christianity itself. I know that you are more broad minded
than that.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu