Re: Tower of Babel: The Evidence Against the New Creationism

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:42:29 +0800

Reflectorites

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:04:27 -0500, John E. Rylander wrote:

JR>Just a quick note (sorry if someone else has already posted this; I haven't
>seen it): the currently online issue of Books & Culture has a response by
>Philip Johnson to Tower of Babel: The Evidence Against the New Creationism,
>by Robert Pennock, who then responds to Johnson.

Thanks to John for posting this. Johnson's review is at:
http://www.christianity.net/bc/9B5/9B5030a.html and Pennock's response
is at: http://www.christianity.net/bc/9B5/9B5031.html.

JR>Frankly, I think both Johnson and Pennock each make some good points but
>also come across as polemical and sloppy, in ways characteristic of
>representatives of their respective positions. I expected a bit of rhetoric
>from Johnson, but was hopefully unfamiliar with Pennock, who is a
>philosopher. Oh well. Even so, I think Pennock did a better job.
>
>http://www.christianity.net/bc/current/#contents

As for Pennock doing "a better job", I disagree. The Editor of Books & Culture
even in the same issue took the unprecedented step of accusing Pennock of taking
"cheap shots" in his response to Johnson (see below). There is also, I understand,
in the print editiona letter by Bill Demski pointing out that Pennock had distorted what