Re: I do like to play devil's advocate (was Dembski's "Explaining Specified Complexity")

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 06:40:18 +0800

Reflectorites

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 02:17:47 EDT, MikeBGene@aol.com wrote:

[...]

MG>You seem quite certain that it is "clear" there is "NO" evidence an
>intelligent agent exists. As a theist, I could not disagree more. Thus, we
>can either get into debates about the existence of God or we can simply
>agree to disagree...

Mike and others new to the List should be aware that Pim is a theist too. He just
likes "to play devil's advocate" and give the impression he is a non-theist (see
the post below).

That is one reason why I never reply to Pim. I can never tell if he really
means what he says or if he is just playing some sort of private game at
our expense.

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:17:58 -0700, Pim van Meurs wrote:

>Yep I am a believer although I do like to play devil's advocate every now and then.
>

>----------

"In considering the Origin of Species, it is quite conceivable that a
naturalist, reflecting on the mutual affinities of organic beings, on their
embryological relations, their geographical distribution, geological
succession, and other such facts, might come to the conclusion that species
had not been independently created, but had descended, like varieties, from
other species. Nevertheless, such a conclusion, even if well founded, would
be unsatisfactory, until it could be shown how the innumerable species
inhabiting this world have been modified, so as to acquire that perfection of
structure and coadaptation which justly excites our admiration." (Darwin C.R.,
"The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection", [1872], Everyman's
Library, J.M. Dent & Sons: London UK, 6th Edition, 1928, reprint, p18)