Re: Plumbing new depths (was if Stan really did intend to help, then I thank him for it ...)

Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:18:28 +0800

Reflectorites

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:02:19 +0000, mortongr@flash.net wrote:

>SJ>Stan can conclude whatever he likes. But the fact is that he does not deny
>>that he has *never* shown me any support in the past, either publicly or
>>privately. If Stan really has all along supported me, why has *never* said
>so?

GM>and

>SJ>If Stan really cannot see why I am less than overwhelmed by his "help",
>>then there is nothing more I can say. Except that if Stan really did
>intend to help, then I thank him for it.

GM>I am amazed at your ability to imply that Stan is lying and then thank him
>at the same time. This is truly bizarre, Stephen.

It is interesting how the word "lying" comes so easily to Glenn when he is
judging others! I never claimed that Stan was "lying". I assumed that either
Stan was sincerely *wrong*, and/or not the best communicator. That is why
in the end I thanked Stan for his *intent*.

GM>Why can't you just accept that Stan is telling the truth?

I *do* "accept that Stan is telling the truth". I would hardly thank him for
lying!

GM>Why is it that you seem to think
>that you are sole the judge of everyone else's motives etcs.

I don't think that I am "the sole judge of everyone else's motives". Like
everyone else, including Glenn, I make *working assumptions* based on what
people say and do. And I revise those assumption based on what they
continue to say and do.

For example, Glenn apparently thinks he can be the judge of my "motives"
when he wrote privately to Bertvan:

"He [Stephen] has the strange belief that as long as he can find one person
to agree with him, then he is right."

GM>What makes you think that he is required to support you?

I don't think that Stan (or anyone else) "is required to support" me. Stan
was claiming to be supporting me. That is why it was being discussed.

GM>Does the world revolve around you?

Not last time I looked!

GM>Does the word megalomania mean anything to you?

Glenn here plumbs new depths. I decline to join Glenn in his private gutter!

I advise Glenn to think *very carefully* before he gets any further into
introducing psychiatric diagnoses of his opponents into this debate.

Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)