Re: A Catholic sermon from Kansas

Biochmborg@aol.com
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:56:50 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/99 8:39:52 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
sejones@iinet.net.au writes:

> Even if "all) TE/ECs on this Reflector" did "frequently *say* that
> they do NOT share this "ideological frame of mind", that does not mean
> they don't. If TE/ECs have in fact been taken "captive through [a] hollow
> and deceptive philosophy..." (Col 2:8), namely scientific materialism-
> naturalism, then they may not realise it. It is, after all, a *deceptive*
> philosophy that the Apostle Paul was warning Christians about.
>
> There is a prima facie case that TE/ECs are candidates for Paul's warning
> because their very name indicates they are trying to combine the opposites
> of naturalistic evolution with Christian theism. That TE/ECs refuse to
even
> consider it could be true, and react with anger and ad hominems, rather
> than discussing it calmly and rationally is evidence that they *have* been
> taken "captive through [a] hollow and deceptive philosophy"!

I posted this request before, but Stephen simply ignored it, so I will post
it again, since he has raised the issue again:

I for one would appreciate it if Stephen would be gracious enough to explain
how we "TE/ECs" should "rationally discuss" his assesment that we have been
"taken 'captive' by a 'hollow and deceptive philosophy' (Col 2:8), namely
scientific materialism-naturalism", such that "the 'E' part of 'TE/EC'"
controls "the Christian 'T' part." For example, what evidence or argument
would he accept as proof that he is wrong?

Considering what Stephen said in the first paragraph above, however, I do not
see that he would ever admit he is wrong, since even if we "TE/ECs" were to
rationally and calmly discuss his assesment that we have been "taken
'captive' by a 'hollow and deceptive philosophy' (Col 2:8), namely scientific
materialism-naturalism", he could still reject our arguments and evidence on
the basis that we "may not realise" that we have been "taken 'captive'",
since it is "after all, a *deceptive* philosophy". In other words, as long
as Stephen believes that we have been "taken 'captive'" and that we "may" not
realize it, I do not see what we could possibly say that would make him
change his mind.

Kevin L. O'Brien