Re: Dembski, freedom, and the Soviet Union

Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:04:11 -0500 (CDT)

Art Chadwick writes:
>Wesley R. Elsberry writes:

[Quote]

Dembski, whose recent book, The Design Inference, presents in
great detail how the Intelligent Design argument satisfies
logic and probability, likes to compare the movement's
influence on science to the freedom and democracy movements
and their effect on Eastern Europe. Criticism of Darwinism
now threatens the hegemony of Darwinism, he says, just as the
move toward freedom upset the Soviet empire.

[End Quote - S Goode, <http://www.arn.org/docs/insight499.htm>]

WRE>The particular bit of rhetoric attributed to William Dembski
WRE>in the above is simply vile, and thus I hope that Dembski was
WRE>misrepresented in this instance by the reporter. Does anyone
WRE>know whether this really is or is not an allusion of Dembski's
WRE>own usage?

WRE>I would like to have a more direct reference to its use by
WRE>Dembski if it is supposed to be his own. Reporters all too
WRE>frequently mess up these things.

AC>What is it you find "vile" about what Dembski is purported to
AC>have said?

The inapt analogy whose sole purpose appears to be vilification
of evolutionary biologists and other scientists.

AC>Do you not think the movement toward freedom upset the
AC>Soviet empire?

Sure.

AC>or do you not think criticism of Darwin threatens the
AC>hegemony of Darwinism?

Actually, that would require evidence. No matter what the
National Enquirer might dig up about Charles Darwin's secret
love life, the science of evolutionary biology would still
need to be addressed on the basis of the evidence.

AC>or what? Please explain so that those of us who are
AC>thick-headed can understand your objections.

By the questions above it appears that Art is satisfied with
the analogy on the incredibly thin grounds that the Soviets
did not immediately give up when criticism appeared, but
instead defended their position. But any group, including
YECs and IDCs, are equally vulnerable to be the second group
said to be like the Soviets on those grounds.

If I were to say, "I like to compare the evolutionary biology
position to the freedom and democracy movements in Europe.
Criticism of Flood geology now threatens the ICR's dominant
position in YEC, just as the move toward freedom upset the
Soviet empire. One need only look at publications like
Duane Gish's 'Creation Scientists Answer Their Critics' to
see that they are trying to patch over our criticisms and
maintain their hold on their followers," would Art find that
completely unexceptionable? Fair is fair, after all.

Let me ask Art a couple of questions:

Did the Soviets use assassination, extortion, torture,
confinement in gulags, and starvation as methods of dealing
with dissent?

Do the scientists allegedly targeted by Dembski utilize the
Soviets' methods of suppressing dissent listed in the prior
question?

If "yes" to the first and "no" to the second, why then does
the analogy attributed to Dembski fail to be vile? Please
explain it as I would seem to be thick-headed in turn on
this point. If Art answers "yes" to the second, I'd want
some references to go with that.

Now, does Art or anyone else have a clue about the real issue,
which is whether the statement I quoted really and truly came
from Dembski, or was it garbled by the reporter?

Wesley