Re: "Design up to Scratch?" (The Wit and Wisdom of Michael Roberts)

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 11:06:22 EDT

    A response to Debbie
       1. The last statistic that I heard is that mankind's knowledge doubles in less than 10 years. This seems that it would create constant difficulties for Behe's point of view and a God who is the same yesterday, today and forever.

      Knowledge may increase but wisdom seems to be decreasing.

      3. If I were a wealthy manufacturer, a Bill Gates of manufacturing, and I designed a product and built it, then I am the creator. If I built robots to build my product, I am still its creator and I still make the money. If I build robots to build the robots and so forth - the money still goes into my bank account.

       I think the first person to give this type of argument was Charles Kingsley, an Anglican vicar, in the 1860s. You will find his humorous version of it in Darwin's Correspondence of 1862, p533ff. Darwin loved it as did Huxley..

      Michael