Re: "Design up to Scratch?" (The Wit and Wisdom of Michael Roberts)

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 13:56:08 EDT

    Dick Fisher wrote:

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1999/PSCF12-99Roberts.html

    I read this article, and came to the conclusion that the argument was
    specious & was about to write a post explaining why I thought so, but then
    followed up the link to the response by ASA fellow Gordon Mills at

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2001/PSCF3-01Mills.html#Behe%20and%20Intelligen
    t%20Design20Theory

    It seems Mills spotted the same obvious logical flaw in Roberts's argument
    that I did & put it much better than I can:

    ----------------
    Roberts (p. 248) quotes a statement in Behe's book as follows: "If a
    biological structure can be explained in terms of those natural laws then we
    cannot conclude that it was designed" (p. 203). Roberts then indicates that
    this statement is equivalent to saying that "it was not designed." I submit
    that the second tier of Behe's position is that area where the evidence is
    simply not sufficient to say clearly whether a process or a structure was
    designed or whether it was not designed. Both Behe and I, as trained
    biochemists, acknowledge the role of chance (i.e., in mutations, etc.). We
    simply argue that chance is not sufficient to explain many of the complex
    processes or structures of living organisms.
    ----------------

    In other words, Behe is being accused by Roberts of the following well-known
    logical fallacy:

    Premise: All crows are black
    Conclusion: Therefore all not-crows are not-black.

    Equivalently:

    Premise: All irreducibly complex objects are designed.
    Conclusion: All not-irreducibly complex objects are not-designed.

    It seems obvious to me that Behe never implied this conclusion & that
    therefore Roberts' argument contributes nothing of interest to the debate,
    because it attacks a straw man.

    If one wants to criticize Behe then one should attack the premise, not the
    false conclusion. By all means contest the idea that irreducible complexity
    necessitates design, or state that there is no such thing as irreducible
    complexity (what Dawkins calls "the argument from personal incredulity").
    But to attack a conclusion that wasn't made by Behe seems pointless to me.

    However, the article did serve to re-acquaint me with G.M. Hopkins' sublime
    poem, which was an enjoyable reunion for me. We can all from time to time
    stop doing science and marvel at the Grandeur of God's created universe.
    I'm sure Behe does this right along with the rest of us.

    Iain.