Re: Iraq National Museum Tragedy

From: William T. Yates (billyates@billyates.com)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 16:37:26 EDT

    Also please note that it appears to have been an organized heist by
    knowledgeable people. They had keys to the vaults and display cases. The
    items taken were not indiscriminate choices. While some 'looting' did
    occur, the real loss seems to have been the result of a planned criminal
    heist.

    As for priorities in protecting places, the first priority is force
    protection. If you can't protect yourself, you can't protect anything
    else. This is war. Baghdad is still not totally safe and certainly was
    not so when the theft occurred. At the time, the number of coalition
    forces was limited, and still is. Until more details are known, I would
    be leery of accusing the US of dereliction of duty (some almost go so
    far as to accuse the US of complicity). I think those who have resigned
    may have done so on the basis of incomplete and inaccurate informaton.

    One of my superiors once had a slogan, "No immediate action, ever." A
    cautionary warning not to react without thinking and knowledge. That can
    apply to more than war news.

    A late report says that paintings apparently stolen from the museum were
    recovered at the Jordanian border today. All may not be lost.

    Blesisngs,

    --Bill Yates

    --
    --Bill Yates