Re: selling Christianity

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 08:57:15 EDT

    Debbie writes:

    > Does that mean that you don't believe that statistics are useful in
    > evangalism? The point of the research by our church was for the members to
    > spend time where it would best count. It is less profitable for a
    life-long
    > traditional Christian to hand out flyers in the mall than to invite the
    > next-door neighbor who went to church as a child and then strayed away.
    > Statistics say a coworker is a more likely convert for must of us than a
    > homeless person. There are people who have the ministry of reaching the
    > homeless on a spiritual level, but statistics say that they most likely
    had
    > a rough spot or two in their own lives. I agree, we plant and water and
    God
    > gives the increase. However, in my own garden, I do a lot better with
    > daffodils than hibiscus. It's the climate.

    Bob's response:

        I think that the model of evangelism Christians should adopt is the one
    set forth by Jesus in the parable of the sower. We should broadcast the
    seed widely, know that some will fall on rocky, thorny, and other
    unproductive ground, but also that some will fall on fertile soil and give a
    great increase.

        I believe that personal testimony, when it is done with humility,
    respect and sensitivity, is a positive contribution to evangelism. I
    question how effective flyers are. But I most value the exhortation of that
    "passionate medieval evangelical," St. Francis of Assisi, who said to his
    brothers and sisters: "Preach the gospel at all times, and if you must, use
    words."

    Bob Schneider