Re: natural theology (was Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning)

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 12:59:17 EDT

    G:"But for the argument you're trying to make from Rom.1 to work it has to
    be true for all people - the uneducated slaves & peasants of the 1st
    century as well as the scholars of the time. The use of sophisticated
    scientific education of the 1st century, let alone that of the 20th
    century, should be overkill. One simply shouldn't need to appeal to things
    like modern biochemistry &c."

    J: I actually agree more with the idea that you said elsewhere that the
    universe makes more sense in light of a creator than without one. I am not
    actually trying to build an entire theology from flagella + romans 1.
    Whether or not we *need* to appeal to these things is different than whether
    we can and how we should. Also, my question of Paul's education was more to
    get some FYI than to pursue a particular argument.

    G: "Maybe I missed something in the flurry of posts on this thread but I
    don't understand what you mean here."

    J:The flurry included passages that state God's omnipotence in nature and
    his ubiquitous action in upholding it.

    G:"This is a critical point. Are you saying that God has simply made these
    things known, in the sense that the data is there, or that people actually
    _know_ not only the data but also its implications - i.e., the existence of
    a creator? If the former I can agree to a considerable extent. If the
    latter then I think my challenge here is germane."

    J: From the exact reading of scripture, it appears that they know to such an
    extent that they are without excuse. I guess the lack of clarity centers on
    what exact degree that entails and what that looks like in the mind of a
    non-believer.

    G: ....But it affects the argument you made earlier - i.e., ...

    J: I think I am slowly beginning to understand your point more fully.

    G: We know the natural world as creation from revelation, not our scientific
    study of it. (Of course that's just the point we're debating here!)

    J: "Actually all men know of God's eternal qualities due to creation, not
    from a study of it, but because God has made it plain to them.

    G: I would just repeat the question about Weinberg, Dawkins et al which I
    think you really dodged before. In what sense do they really know of things
    in the world as due to God?

    J: I was not trying to dodge the question. My best answer comes directly
    from Romans 1:20, that his invisible qualities have been made plain to them
    by God. I can only imagine a more developed answer based from the time that
    I was as close to agnostic as possible (for myself) during college. Looking
    at the heavens and the natural world gave me a sense of awe, insignificance
    and deep perplexity. Are we alone, is there truly a God? Did I acknowledge
    the fact that Christ died for my sins? No. But the sheer presence of
    nature and universe, from the observations I could make just going outside
    and staring at the stars, gave me a choice to either pursue the nature of
    whatever could have created it, or pursue a series of philosophical
    arguments that enabled me to more fully deny any sense of God or creation in
    my understanding of existence. In that seed of knowledge from experiencing
    the creation, I think God makes it plain that he is there and that his
    hidden and invisible qualities are there. I think to "Not" know it, is to
    choose a lifelong act of illogic and confusion to ignore a deep-seated
    knowledge plain to the soul (and in whatever way the soul communicates to
    the intellect and consciousness.) I think creating arguments which provide
    a more rigourous strategy of understanding why existence makes more sense as
    a creation rather than an accident of sorts (from first cause arguments to
    ID arguments to Romans's statement of being made plain) create a situation
    where non-believers must utilize a more difficult degree of distortion of
    the truth required for them to continue to deny God. To answer Preston's
    question posed to the group, I did see a lecture during my days at TAMU
    during which the fine tuning quality of nature was presented. This indeed
    impacted greatly the degree of confidence I had while pursuing the question
    of "Is God Real?" The balance of the laws of nature require some
    explanation, either a rationale such as "It is that way because out of a
    multiple universe theory, one will eventually exist that supports life" or
    "God is responsible in some way."

    G: "BTW I know of Dembski's statements about the importance of Christ that
    you cited earlier. But it seems as if what really plays a role in his
    arguments is the pre-incarnate Christ, the "unfleshed Word." (Again, I'm
    not saying that he doesn't believe in the Incarnation & cross.)"

    J: Would you mind elaborating, in light of this, what exact bone it is that
    you pick and perhaps give some citations for why you feel Dembski is more
    concerned with the "unfleshed word." I have a copy of "No Free Lunch" to
    reference (which is where I saw the argument).

    G: "Insistence on the God who leaves his fingerprints all over the evidence
    is in pretty blatant contrast to the biblical theme of the hidenness of God.
    "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the savior"
    (Is.45:15) & "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing" (Prov.25:1). But
    this isn't just a matter of isolated verses. In the fundamental revelation
    of the cross God is paradoxically "hidden under the form of the opposite,"
    looking completely unlike anything that we expect God to be.

    J: This may refer us to the degree that we can extrapolate from creation,
    but does not argue that there is no exptrapolation from nature to God's
    qualities.

    G: Hidden means hidden. God's hiddenness in natural processes isn't a
    matter of degree. "What meets our eyes denotes neither a total absence nor
    a manifest presence of the divine, but the presence of a God who conceals
    Himself. Everything bears this stamp." (Pascal) & while I'm citing
    Pascal, the following of his is also relevant:
    "It is a remarkable thing that no canonical writer ever used nature as a
    proof of God's existence. All set out to convince us of it. But David,
    Solomon, and all the rest never said: 'There is no void; therefore there is
    a God.' They must have been cleverer than the cleverest of their
    successors, every one of whom has used this argument. The fact is worth
    pondering on.

    J: Great quotes! Now, I don't wish to pursue the argument that nature
    *Alone* or with other arguments "proves" God's existence. If this is the
    exact form of any argument for which you refer to when you say Theologia
    naturalis delenda est, then I do not hold that either. It seems after
    seeing your statements elsewhere that we agree largely on how nature speaks
    to God's existence. I am however, somewhat still unclear as to what all men
    See in Romans 1, according to you.

    G:"If it is a sign of weakness to use nature as a proof of God, do not
    despise Scripture for it; if it is a sign of strength to have recognized
    these contradictions, give Scripture the credit for it."
    Again, I don't personally think there is a proof for God. But I do feel
    that there is a stronger correlation between the Creation and "God's
    Invisible Qualities" than you seem to advocate.
    (No, citation of authorities isn't proof. But at least it may be of
    interest to note that this isn't just an idiosyncrasy of myself or a few
    others on this list.)

    J: I certaintly did not mean to suggest such idiosyncrasies. I am too
    unfamiliar with the nuances of this issue to speculate so broadly.

    G: "Granted, but evidential apologetics aren't the only variety, & it's far
    from clear that this is the most effective approach. I can't really speak
    from my own experience here since I can never remember _not_ viewing things
    from a Christian standpoint. (But of course how wisely or well I've done
    that has varied tremendously!) Arguments from nature have certainly had
    some effect on my beliefs about God but I start from the standpoint of
    faith."

    J: An extremely wise approach in my estimation. Perhaps you can further
    explain your slogan "Theologia naturalis delenda est!"

    Perhaps you would be better in saying "Argumentum Sola Theologia Naturalis
    delenda Est!"

    Forgive my attempt at latin (I don't know at all if this is the right
    conjugation). I haven't studied it since sophomore year in high school and
    found a word that seems right for "arguments" online just for fun.

    Josh