Re: Jesus Movement (was Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?)

From: Vince D. Calhoun (vcalhoun@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 14:23:52 EDT

    >The Bible is always interpreted by any reader. Arguments from scripture are
    >fine.

    I guess my basis for saying that you wouldn't accept Biblical arguments is
    because I assumed you would attack the validity of Scripture. This goes
    beyond a different interpretation...this is a fundamental difference in the
    way we view scripture. I also believe that the Holy Spirit (God) helps us
    to understand the Bible.

    >study have led to seeing that the nature of his divinity does not alter my
    >faith or behavior. The Jesus movement does. What assumptions about the
    >Jesus movement do you disagree with?

    For one I don't believe that only a small percent of the sayings of Jesus
    were really the saying of Jesus. I don't want to over simplify here, but I
    have a high view of scripture and would not sacrifice this as I
    interpret...that is an assumption/hermeneutic which I bring to the
    table. I think that the deity of Jesus is a fundamental of
    Christianity. But of course if you don't accept (most of) the Bible as an
    authoritative source then you can support any claim you want. But I think
    we stray off topic. :-)

    Blessings,

    VDC

    Vince D. Calhoun, MA, MS, PhD Candidate (UMBC), Research Engineer
    WORK: Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Psychiatric Neuro-Imaging
    600 N. Wolfe St., Meyer 3-166, Baltimore, MD 21287-7362
    VOICE: (410) 955-7861, FAX: (410) 614-3676
    WWW: http://pni.med.jhu.edu/vcalhoun
    "An author [or researcher] should never conceive himself as bringing into
    existence beauty or wisdom which did not exist before, but simply and
    solely as trying to embody in terms of his own art some reflection of
    eternal Beauty and Wisdom...And always, of every idea and of every
    method the Christian will ask not, 'Is it mine?' but 'Is it good?", CS Lewis