Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: James W Stark (stark2301@voyager.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 18:13:50 EDT

    on 8/21/01 3:59 PM, Vince D. Calhoun at vcalhoun@jhu.edu wrote:

    > At 02:44 PM 8/21/2001 -0400, James W Stark wrote:
    >> To me Jesus was not saying that he was God in that quote or that we must
    >> worship him.
    >>
    >> To be God-referenced a person must seek the truth beyond the
    >> truth perceived in h/h worldview as a self-referenced source of truth. He
    >> is metaphorically saying where we ought to seek truth. It is always beyond
    >> our personal worldview.
    >>
    >> Incidentally, the way does not have to be interpreted as one way.
    >> Continually seeking the truth creates a personal path built on many choices.
    >> Every choice should be guided by Jesus.
    >
    > I realize you were making a specific point with your comment so this is
    > probably slightly off topic. But your statement makes me wonder. Isn't
    > there adequate evidence from scripture that Jesus was God and that we are
    > called to worship Him? (perhaps this is what you meant by "every choice
    > should be guided by Jesus"). Of course how that plays out in the lives of
    > individuals is very different.

    To me Jesus never claimed he was God. Humans deified him after the
    incarnation. Marcus Borg states the indecision on his deity in The Meaning
    of Jesus. He also has a web site. I have no problem with either
    conviction, because it is irrelevant to his message stated as the Jesus
    movement by Borg.

    Jim Stark