Wanted: good book(s) on "alternative medicines"

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@calvin.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 17:29:55 EDT

    In a few months, I will teach a short course on the topic of
    "alternative medicines."

    The students will be freshmen (not necessarily science majors) at a
    Christian liberal arts college.

    I would very much like to find one or two books which I can use for
    reading assignments and classroom discussion. The books do not have to be
    written from a Christian perspective. But it would be helpful if the
    books are NOT written from a reductionistic anti-religious standpoint.

    (References to good journal articles and websites are also be welcome.)

    Course goals include: Students should learn about
    --a Christian perspective on science and medicine.
    --a Christian view of human beings as both biological creatures and
         God's image-bearers
    --critical thinking skills
    --how "regular" medical treatments are tested for safety and efficacy
    --many kinds of "alternative medicines"
    --ways to evaluate various alternative medicines in terms of probable
       efficacy, probable safety, scientific plausibility, and underlying
       philosophical/religious assumptions.
    --psychological and social aspects of the wide-spread (and growing) use
       of alternative medicines

    I wouldn't expect to find a book hitting all those topics, but the more
    topics the book hits, the better.

    Thanks for your help.

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College