RE: Was Copernicus. Sun stood still

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 13:09:34 EDT

    My wife and I were discussing miracles last evening. We got to the "sun
    stood still." She mentioned that, in an "meteorology course for teachers"
    at a renowned state university (OK, to let the cat out of the bag, it was
    Penn State), her professor mentioned in passing that, under some
    meteorological conditions, the sun can appear to "stand still" for some time
    (no idea how long). Had something to do with refraction. When those
    conditions disappeared, the sun would "jump" to its "proper" location.

    Any atmospheric scientists out there that can back this up or debunk it?

    Thanks

    Chuck Vandergraaf