Re: On Pi and E

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:31:29 EDT

    George,

    I would like to comment on the points you make here.

    (1) You appear to have a very rigid view of divine inspiration -
    apparently believing it to have died with the NT writers. Are you not
    prepared to accept that those responsible for the divisions and
    punctuations that we now find in our Bibles were also so inspired? And
    if not, why not?

    (2) Concerning the correct reading of Genesis 1:1, you say, "I think
    Westermann has made a good case for the first & more traditional reading
    but a decision can't be made on grammatical or syntactic grounds alone."
    May I suggest that the matter is now settled in favour of Westermann;
    the real and remarkable confluence of integrated numerics found
    underlying these first 7 words of scripture get to the heart of the
    matter, and remove any lingering doubt.

    (3) Regarding the first of your 'theological' objections, you state:

    "Getting pi from Gen.1:1 & e from Jn.1:1 yields little of theological
    significance. It's supposed to prove that the Bible is divinely
    inspired but at most it could prove that those 2 verses are inspired. &
    one could even argue from the fact that there isn't any similar
    mathematical correspondence for other parts of scripture that_only_
    those verses are inspired."

    What might be the logic of the Lord inspiring the writing of just these
    two verses. Surely it's more likely that there is a grander purpose?

    (4) In the second of your theological points, you say: "The argument can
    be of value only for getting the attention of unbelievers and suggesting
    to them that the message of the Bible deserves some consideration. Has
    it done so? How many conversions have begun with this argument?"

    Clearly, such questions are impossible to answer. However, I do not
    doubt the potency of the numerics in making the unregenerate sinner more
    amenable to the work of the Holy Spirit; but I suspect the message is
    also for those believers who, perhaps unwittingly, are completely
    confused about the Gospel, and about what the Bible really says! To know
    that God is, and to know that he is so capable, should help to restore a
    healthy fear of him, and belief in what he says.

    (5) In your third and final theological statement, you said: "If anybody
    does take this message seriously, it's going to be very easy for them to
    get the idea that pi and e are the really deep level of scripture hidden
    below the surface details about the history of Israel & the church -
    just as in _Contact_ pi is hidden below the primes and Hitler and the
    plans for the transit device. & this would be disastrous theologically,
    for the deep meaning of scripture is Jesus Christ.

    I gather the suggestion here is that people, once aware of the numerics,
    are in danger of deifying the universal constants pi and e. What
    nonsense! You are really challenging the wisdom of him who put these
    phenomena in place. Surely, our understanding of the Lord, and of the
    lengths to which he is prepared to go to save deluded sinners, is
    considerably enhanced when we study and consider what he has provided in
    this complementary strand of scriptural information.

    I'm afraid all theologians are going to have to come to terms with these
    arguments of simple logic - distasteful as that might be in many
    quarters!

    Shalom.

    Vernon