Re: On Pi and E

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 09:28:07 EDT

    Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > I would like to comment on the points you make here.
    >
    > (1) You appear to have a very rigid view of divine inspiration -
    > apparently believing it to have died with the NT writers. Are you not
    > prepared to accept that those responsible for the divisions and
    > punctuations that we now find in our Bibles were also so inspired? And
    > if not, why not?

            In response, it would suffice to ask why I should believe that they were inspired. But in
    addition let me quote from A.T. Robertson's An Introduction to the Textual Criticism of the New
    Testament:
            "The modern verses are meant to be sense clauses, but they often mar the sense far more than they
    mark it. They were made by Robert Stephanus in 1551 on a journey from Paris to Lyons as he went inter
    equitandum. I have often felt that the horse sometimes bumped his pen into the wrong place."

    > (2) Concerning the correct reading of Genesis 1:1, you say, "I think
    > Westermann has made a good case for the first & more traditional reading
    > but a decision can't be made on grammatical or syntactic grounds alone."
    > May I suggest that the matter is now settled in favour of Westermann;
    > the real and remarkable confluence of integrated numerics found
    > underlying these first 7 words of scripture get to the heart of the
    > matter, and remove any lingering doubt.

            This may be corroborating evidence but a decision couldn't eb made on math grounds alone.

    > (3) Regarding the first of your 'theological' objections, you state:
    >
    > "Getting pi from Gen.1:1 & e from Jn.1:1 yields little of theological
    > significance. It's supposed to prove that the Bible is divinely
    > inspired but at most it could prove that those 2 verses are inspired. &
    > one could even argue from the fact that there isn't any similar
    > mathematical correspondence for other parts of scripture that_only_
    > those verses are inspired."
    >
    > What might be the logic of the Lord inspiring the writing of just these
    > two verses. Surely it's more likely that there is a grander purpose?

            Your 1st sentence is just the point I was trying to make.

    > (4) In the second of your theological points, you say: "The argument can
    > be of value only for getting the attention of unbelievers and suggesting
    > to them that the message of the Bible deserves some consideration. Has
    > it done so? How many conversions have begun with this argument?"
    >
    > Clearly, such questions are impossible to answer.

            Why impossible? To put it more definitely, do you know of any such conversions?

    > However, I do not
    > doubt the potency of the numerics in making the unregenerate sinner more
    > amenable to the work of the Holy Spirit; but I suspect the message is
    > also for those believers who, perhaps unwittingly, are completely
    > confused about the Gospel, and about what the Bible really says! To know
    > that God is, and to know that he is so capable, should help to restore a
    > healthy fear of him, and belief in what he says.

              You seem to be falling into exactly the error that I warn about next. The gospel is that sins
    are freely forgiven & people are accepted by God for Christ's sake. As to "what the Bible really says,"
    "All scripture everywhere speaks only of Christ." A person who places his or her trust in Christ
    crucified is not "confused about the gospel" even if they know & care nothing about the mathematics of
    scripture. I am not saying this to dismiss such math investigations entirely but only to put them in
    their proper place.

    (5) In your third and final theological statement, you said: "If anybody

    > does take this message seriously, it's going to be very easy for them to
    > get the idea that pi and e are the really deep level of scripture hidden
    > below the surface details about the history of Israel & the church -
    > just as in _Contact_ pi is hidden below the primes and Hitler and the
    > plans for the transit device. & this would be disastrous theologically,
    > for the deep meaning of scripture is Jesus Christ.
    >
    > I gather the suggestion here is that people, once aware of the numerics,
    > are in danger of deifying the universal constants pi and e. What
    > nonsense! You are really challenging the wisdom of him who put these
    > phenomena in place. Surely, our understanding of the Lord, and of the
    > lengths to which he is prepared to go to save deluded sinners, is
    > considerably enhanced when we study and consider what he has provided in
    > this complementary strand of scriptural information.

            There are a lot of things that are in the Bible but which must be relegated to a secondary
    position. All the legalistic versions of Christianity which effectively annul the gospel of free grace
    are good examples. Read Galatians. Again, I am not saying that there are no math patterns in scripture
    but if there are, their importance should not be overestimated theologically.

                                                                            Shalom,
                                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/