Re: On Pi and E

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 16:46:04 EDT

    Vernon,
    I do not understand your argument. All Greek MSS until about the 9th
    cent. were uncial. Then the cursive hand began to be used, with the
    uncial forms used strictly as capitals. Thus IHC (approximately) was an
    abbreviation of "Jesus." The later full form would capitalize the iota
    and use l.c. for the rest of the word, which might be abbreviated. So
    something that looked like X with a superscript p was the abbreviation
    for christos. It might also have the case ending in the superscript.

    The gospels fall into the period when there were no capital letters (it
    was later when uncial forms were used for capitals), and when the
    improper diphthongs were not necessarily written. "Corrected" Greek
    (modern version) inserted iota subscripts where very ancient Greeks would
    have written a following letter. But this does not establish that John
    would have written the iota in his uncial version. The only evidence I
    have is that it was not written in two places in a verse from Esther in a
    4th cent MS. I do not know whether it was the same scribe who transcribed
    the gospels and parts of the Old Testament. As I understand your
    argument, because it was written before 100 B.C. and after A.D. 1200, and
    might have been written during the intervening period, it should be
    counted. Should I insist that final sigma must be counted as 6 rather
    than 200, I'd be as reasonable.
    Dave