Re: On Pi and E

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 15:34:35 EDT

    David,

    Concerning your question re the 'iota subscript', I have today contacted
    a friend and former Professor of Classics who informs me as follows:

    Before c100BC, the iota (involved with alpha, eta or omega as second
    vowel of a dipthong) was invariably written on the line. However, around
    this time the articulation of this letter began to disappear;
    consequently, over the succeeding centuries it was frequently omitted
    from written Greek texts.

    This situation continued until c1200AD when, with the revival of
    scholarship, it was thought appropriate and grammatically correct to
    restore the missing iota - but now as a subscript to the first vowel of
    the dipthong. The one exception to this rule was that capitalised words
    (the so-caled 'uncial' script) would have the iota on the line.

    Clearly, while we will never know John's precise rendering of the
    written Greek, we do know from our understanding of classical Greek
    grammar that the dipthong concerned has iota as its second element.

    These facts, taken with the other evidences to which Iain has recently
    alluded, surely confirm the legitimacy of our reading of John 1:1.

    Regards,

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com