Re: Payne-Miller dialogue regarding facts/interpretation

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 06:54:18 EDT

    Hi Bill

    I will butt in on this conversation simply because my name was mentioned

    Bill Payne wrote:

    > [snip]
    > the objective of the litigation is not to arrive at what is fair or true,
    > but to win a judgement against the company for which I work.

    This is the precise reason why holding up the legal process as a model for
    determining truth is unwise. If it is a doubtful tool to discover truth in
    matters of law, it is an even more doubtful tool in matters of science. PJ
    please note (not that he will).

    > I am in the process of doing just that, i.e., showing that the swamp
    > model for the origin of coal is based upon an incorrect interpretation of
    > data. To "prove something beyond a reasonable doubt" is a slow and
    > meticilous process, and Jonathan is doing a good job of checking my every
    > move.

    I am glad I am being helpful. But I must point out that there is no "swamp
    model". There are a great many models for coal formation that have have
    differing sedimentary and tectonic frameworks, rather depths, hydrology,
    topography, ecological successions, and degrees of transport. These reflect
    the great range of coal found it the world. The three things they must have
    in common are abundant terrestrial plant matter (to make the coal), low
    clastic input (otherwise it won't be coal, and water logging (without which
    the plant material won't form peat and then coal). Everything else is
    variable. As it happens coally environments all seem to be swamps (of many
    different kinds), shallow lakes, and lagoons. But that is a result of
    research.

    > Back to the main point of this post: If a bridge were engineered with
    > the same lack of correspondence to reality that the swamp model of coal
    > has to the observable data, and if the bridge fails, the lawyers
    > representating the owners of the bridge, and those representating any
    > injured personnel or owners of damaged property, would pour through the
    > failed bridge's engineering design, the qualifications of the engineer
    > who stamped (approved) the design drawings, the materials-testing data,
    > the construction (were specified materials actually used or were
    > substitutions made, were the plans followed or were there deviations,
    > were all deviations approved by the engineer), the records of the project
    > manager responsible for quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC), in
    > short - the full spectrum of details associated with design/build.

    Two things. First, you can't compare a building a bridge to a scientific
    theory. They are not even remotely alike in terms of methodology.

    Second, companies have spent billions exploring for coal using rigorously
    empirical techniques. They have to find coal and mine it in sufficient
    quantities to not only survive, but keep their stockholders happy. The
    models which have worked in this exercise - that correspond to reality - are
    the ones you say do not. Take the Miocene lignites of the Gippsland basin in
    Victoria, Australia. they are some of the largest lignite deposits in the
    world. The lignites do not occur associated with the well drained uplands,
    or in the similarly well drained sandy barrier that separated the lagoon and
    coastal plain from the sea, or associated with the offshore limestones.
    They occur in the back barrier coastal plain. Similarly, the Eocene lignites
    of the margins of the Bremer and Eucla Basins of south and western Australia
    occur not in the sandy upper reaches of the palaeovalley successions, or
    interbedded with the marine sediments of the main basins, but in the lower
    reaches of the palaeovalleys. Every coal basin I know tells a similar
    story. If the exploration concepts hadn't worked these deposits would not
    have been found and the shareholders would have been most upset - and perhaps
    taken the directors to the courts you regard so highly.

    > In summary, if the theory of the origin of coal fails to find empirical
    > support, the theory is eventually modified and life goes on. [snip]

    That is what geologists have been doing for the last 200 years.

    > [snip]
    >
    > I reiterate, the consequences for a mistake in the world of construction
    > are potentially catastrophic for a business and a career; the
    > consequences for a mistake or misinterpretation in the world of academia,
    > especially historical science, are virtually non-existent.

    It depends what the mistake is. If it was an honest mistake, then there are
    not (and should not) be penalties except that it should be rectified. If an
    academic persistently gets it wrong they won't get their papers published,
    attract graduate students, or have a high reputation, for reasons of
    incompetence.

    There is no fundamental difference (only details of methodology and
    reasoning) between historical science and non-historical science, unlike the
    difference between law and science or egineering and law.

    > Bill

    Jon