Re: Watershed

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 17:16:05 EDT

    I would dearly love to answer your question with a straight 'Yes' or
    'No' so that we might elicit its true purpose. I think the best I can
    do, given the circumstances, is as follows:

    It seems to me that your 'stunningly impressive suggestion' of a name
    having the value 616 cannot, of itself, lead the rational and unbiased
    mind to voice the considered opinion that the verse was necessarily of
    divine origin. To clinch the issue it would be necessary that the
    individual concerned eventually turned out to be the promised
    Antichrist. Only then, in retrospect, could I answer 'Yes, the correct
    number was 616; and the method used to derive number from name,
    verified.' - and because, on your hypothesis, I would have been
    unaware of any textual alternative, I would have agreed that it was
    divinely inspired.

    Paul, I'm afraid this is my best shot at formulating an answer. If it is
    still not satisfactory, then I must ask you to rephrase the question -
    and in a less hypothetical manner. Assuming it is OK, perhaps you will
    now reveal your motive in asking it.

    Regards,

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com