Finding names in values

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 17:39:30 EDT

    Vernon wishes to find values (albeit not very exact) by taking a set of
    numbers assigned to ancient Hebrew letters, and performing a certain
    arbitrary mathematical transformation on these numbers.

    I thought of the problem the other way around.

    I take the value of pi and extend it to exactly n positions after the
    decimal point. I assume the English alphabet as divinely given (as
    Vernon assumes the denary system to be divinely given) and so assign the
    numbers A=01, B=02, ..., Z=26. I then observe that the last 26 numbers in
    pi, when I get to position n, spell out the words "vernonjenkins." Not
    only that, but subsequent to position n I find other names,
    "georgehammond," for instance. Yes, even the name "georgemurphy." But
    "vernonjenkins" is the key term, since it takes exactly 26 letters, and
    that seems also to be divinely inspired.

    Now the above is, I believe, true, and verifiable by anyone, at least in
    principle. The value of n is left as an exercise to the serious student
    of such things; it (the value of n) is probably "divine" also. Note that
    my little exercise is clearly "better" than that of Vernon's since I have
    no need of introducing an arbitrary mathemetical transformation.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)