Re: Steven Weinberg essay (private)

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 11:40:44 EDT

    Dawson wrote:

    "Hi John,

    I also read the essay a few months ago but never had the time to comment
    on it. I especially liked your turn around --- and maybe you intended
    that to remind some of us about how WE sometimes write things not seeing
    them as pejoratives toward the our non-theist cohorts. He is a brilliant
    scientist, but as one non-theist friend I correspond with said about
    similar matters, many such scientists

            "...adorned themselves with scientism as vulgarly as Argentine
    generals sport rows & columns of medals &
            ribbons on their chests. "

    I really can't say it better. Sadly for him, since as I recall he is
    Jewish and much of his family suffered during the holocaust.

    It is strange that in the same way that the holocaust has taught me that
    I can ONLY depend on the Lord's Grace to make me an firm instrument
    against such follies of human madness, it has taught Prof. Weinberg to
    reject the Lord.

    Mainly, I was wondering about your expression:

    This cat has looked at a king; Weinberg is a king for all my pebble
    throws. "
    ------------
    Umm. I'd not apply your friend's description to Weinberg. I met him just
    once, at the NTSE; my impression is that he is a fine gentleman, and, in
    conversation, comes across as knowledgeable but not arrogant.

    The expression comes from an old fable, which once I could remember but
    cannot do so any longer. I used it twice in my essay on Weinberg, and the
    one you quoted was the second one. The moral of the fable is, of course,
    that a king reigns in all his power, yet a common cat can see him in his
    chambers, and knows that he is mortal.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)