Re: Adam never met Eve

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 12:47:43 EST

    Generally, only the popular press and Christians concerned with origins
    take seriously the dates inferred by coalescent theory calculations with
    regard to any actual individuals (i.e., an actual Eve or Adam). The dates
    are estimates *given certain assumptions*. They are most useful when
    compared to each other, as this can help to indicate histories of
    short-term versus sustained bottlenecks, and modes of transmission, extent
    of gene flow among geographical areas, etc.

    Popular press versions of such study results should come with
    disclaimer: "Any relation of these findings to actual individuals and
    specific historical events are entirely speculative, albeit perhaps more
    plausible than certain alternatives which are unambiguously falsified."

    Doug