Re: Adam never met Eve

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 08:44:17 EST

    Hi, Glenn

    An important caveat. All these estimates are based on coalescent theory,
    which is a very successful area within population genetics. CT basically
    deals with phylogenies of different alleles in the same species, and uses
    those phylogenies to estimate things such as most recent common ancestors,
    effective population sizes and measures of gene flow. One of the most
    common assumptions is that the genes must be selectively neutral or at
    least nearly neutral. Any strongly beneficial mutation in the y chromosome
    could increase the frequency of that allele as well as other linked genes
    ("a selective sweep"). As a consequence, the estimated time for the most
    recent common ancestor would be biased towards the present, which could be
    the case here.

    On the other hand, calculations by Francisco Ayala using the same
    coalescent theory suggested that the human effective population size
    (number of reproductively active individuals in a population) never became
    smaller than 50 individuals since the divergence from chimps. This is
    inconsistent with the idea of a very strong populational bottleneck with
    only one active female.

    Marcio

    Marcio R. Pie
    Department of Biology