Re: Adam never met Eve

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 10:26:54 EST

    In addition to the fundamental flaw of overlooking the possiblity of multiple bottlenecks in one lineage (the Adam/Noah effect noted in one post), the dating techniques are far from precise. I believe the error range on the "Eve" dates makes them uncertain between 0 and a few million years, for example, if all sources of error are taken into consideration. Many molecular clock studies use only one calibration point, if any (some just cite a rate from another study), making the results statistically meaningless.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!