Re: Surprise

From: John W. Burgeson (johnburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 12:59:27 EST

    Moorad wrote:

    "I do not quite follow. If God is not embedded in time, how can He be
    "surprised" by future events? God views us as we view world lines in
    general
    relativity. The whole history is laid down before His "eyes"!"

    The operative word in what you write is "if."

    We have no warrant, I assert, for saying God is not embedded in time. Nor
    the negation of that, BTW. We simply don't know.

    Whether He is, or is not, the O.T. stories still stand as examples when
    God WAS surprised by what we humans did or did not do.

    If God is "outside time," whatever that may mean, then he was surprised
    "all at once," whatever that may mean.

    My claim is simply this -- if God WAS surprised, even once, then that
    implies something less than being "all powerful." Note that this is still
    not a "strong claim."

           Burgy

    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.