Re: Best of YEC

From: Joel Duff (joelduff@nls.net)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 10:19:27 EST

    At 09:11 AM 2/22/00 -0600, James Mahaffey wrote:
    >Folks,
    >
    >I would be interested in feedback on what are some of the best titles
    >from the YEC camp. Gish I assume is always fairly good at least in his
    >chemistry. I am aware that Austin wrote a little book on the Grand
    >Canyon. Are these two considered the best defenders of the movement?
    >My initial impression of Ken H. is that he is a bit weak on his science.
    >
    >I am not YEC but am intereste in knowing what books make their best
    >defense.

    Hi James,

    This is a good question that I couldn't come up with a quick answer. I
    definitely don't think that Ham is half the quality (if I can even use that
    word in this discussion) of the ICR folk. What I have noticed among some
    evangelicals is a shift away from ICR (Gish, Morris, Wise, etc..) and
    toward Walter Brown (Center for Scientific Creation). I find that I am
    hearing his arguments more and more and he has a different scheme for the
    flood sequence (the hydroplate theory) which on the surface seems to
    accomodate more of moderns science (plate teconics etc..). Here are some
    recent references that likely only the reformed folk here will be familiar
    with. A recent book edited by Pipa (Did God Create in Six Days?) includes
    a chapter on science and creation by Wes Renyolds (this is from memory
    since I have the book at home). In the chapter Renyolds reviews the
    evidence for recent creation he essentially lifts all his material right
    from Brown's book "In the Beginning" and doesn't get any arguments from the
    ICR/AIG people at all. Likewise Douglas Kelley's book "Creation and
    Change: Genesis 1and 2 in light of Scripture and science" is an examination
    of the theological issues but he includes an "analysis" of the scientific
    evidence as well. Here he also uses Brown's material almost exclusively
    (even acknowldeging that Brown reviewed the book for him). Similarly
    several home school outlets are now promoting Brown over ICR. I am not
    sure what is precipitatin this change though I think that in reformed
    circles the bad theology of the ICR folk is catching up to them and Brown
    is perceived as more theologically astute and as well as a better scientist.

    Regarding the CSC, I have never been able to find out what their origins
    are or how many people really make up this particular flavor of young earth
    creationism. I can't see that they have nearly the network that others do
    but I would be interested if anyone knows anthing about the history of
    Brown and what his particular theological leanings are.

    So I guess I would say that some think that Brown's book "in the beginning"
    may be one of the better YEC books. I find if more outlandish in places
    but overall I think Brown is more sophisticated in some of his arguments
    than other YEC advocates. One example of this is his continued dealings
    with moon dust in which he still holds that the amount of dust is a problem
    but his argument is very different than the typical YEC argument.

    Hope that helps,

    Joel Duff

    >--
    >James and Florence Mahaffy 712 722-0381 (Home)
    >227 S. Main St. 712 722-6279 (Office)
    >Sioux Center, IA 51250

    Dr. R. Joel Duff, Assistant Professor
    Dept. of Biology, ASEC 185