Re: Perelandra

From: Charles F. Austerberry (cfauster@creighton.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 10:22:34 EST

    Thanks, Dave. I especially like your insight that being expelled from the
    garden was merciful. Perhaps the inspired Hebrew writer was answering the
    question "why do we die ?" by saying that it is God's will that physical
    creatures not live forever. The extent to which the ancient Hebrews
    distinguished between the physical and the spiritual (both life and death)
    is unclear to me, but even if they didn't, we can. And I completely agree
    with your analysis of natural "evil" (physical death, pain).

    I guess it's the relationship between moral evil and natural evil that has
    me stumped. I used to read the Fall as saying that human moral evil casts
    a shadow on the natural world such that the whole creation needs redeeming.
    But, evolution tells us that such a shadow would need to have been
    retrospective, in effect long before the first humans, does it not?

    Some might say that only after humans appeared was the creation tainted.
    Well, yes and no. Granted, human bumbling and greed has despoiled the
    environment in a rather unique way, but was Paul really thinking of
    human-caused ecological crises when he wrote that all creation groans?

    Others might say that Satan had already corrupted creation (at least earth)
    before humans appeared on the scene. That too seems odd.

    In _Perelandra_, C.S. Lewis imagines Venus as an uncorrupted paradise.
    From that I gather that Lewis took the possibility, if not the reality, of
    an unfallen Eden quite seriously. Alas, I cannot.

    Chuck