Re: TIME BEFORE TIME

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 20:44:09 EST

    From: Dick Fischer <dfischer@mnsinc.com on Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:46:54
    -0500 (EST) wrote:

    Knowing what has happened is entirely different from knowing future
    events.
     It is difficult to reason that God knows the future and He chooses to
    stay
    uninvolved in it. But how can He know it if He doesn't control it?

    But if God can be "surprised" by future events, then "those He foreknew
    were predestined" is a hard verse to reconcile with that point of view.

    ----------------------

    A problem here seems to me to be the assumption that there is a future
    with God as there is with us. But, if the Creator is outside of the
    spatio-temporal universe he produced, then there is no past or future
    with him. For him to be surprised assumes that there was a future which
    was opaque to him, as it is to us. This places an unwarranted limitation
    on his being. For us, there is a difference between knowing what has
    happened and knowing what will happen, because we are in this
    four-dimensional world.

    How can one suggest that God knows the future but chooses to be
    uninvoled? There is no moment in which he is not totally involved. Were
    he not involved, there would be no universe. I think this is at least
    part of the meaning of Colossians 1:17: "in him all things hold
    together" (NIV). cf. Acts 17:28 and Hebrews 1:3.

    How can God know without controlling everything? Let me suggest an
    analogy, though it distorts the reality of the deity. In Abbott's noted
    book, the Spacelander could see everything that went on in Flatland and
    Lineland, though the king of Lineland was restricted to contacting the
    adjacent points and the Flatlander could observe only a small part of his
    world. We Spacelanders cannot construct a tesseract, though we may
    produce a projection, somewhat as we project a cube onto a plane. Note
    that all three of these worlds have a single time dimension, though
    Abbott does not, as I recall, mention this fact. Now, if we imagine a
    creature with two or three temporal dimensions, our single dimension
    would be as open to it as Flatland and Lineland were to the Spacelander.
    In this analogy, note that this solid-time creature does not control
    events, but is directly aware of all of our time-line, as Spacelander was
    aware of all of Lineland.

    In the analogy, the Solidtimer could still have limited capacity, just as
    the Spacelander could only focus on part of Flatland, even though it was
    all open to him in principle. Also note that, in the analogy, I have
    merely substituted one more complex kind of space-time for our
    four-dimentsional one. In contrast, the Creator, being both infinite and
    outside of all spatio-temporal restrictions, does not have these
    limitations. His creatures can even have total freedom, though as a
    matter of fact, there are limits to our freedom (Matthew 6:27, e.g.),
    without his losing track of them.

    Dave