Fw: Fw: looks and humanity

From: Russell Maatman (rmaat@mtcnet.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 13:42:31 EST

    Glenn and other ASAers:

    Glenn Morton wrote on Sunday, February 13, 2000 7:16 AM,

    > At 10:03 PM 2/12/00 -0600, Russell Maatman wrote:
    > >ASAers:
    > >
    > >I'd like to respond to one rem ark Glenn made. See my comments below.
    > [snip]
    > >Glenn, I keep thinking that you are very close to the position I took in
    > >the post that started this discussion a few days ago. You rightly
    deplore
    > >judging whether a being is human on the basis of its looks or
    appearance. I
    > >agree. But I make the same claim for fossils and the behavior of the
    beings
    > >that were fossilized. I realize you have not included behavior.
    >
    > I am really lost here.

    So am I. Scratch that last sentence of mine and see my further explanation
    below.

> [...]
    > paralyzed and having given birth to my cousin in an iron lung, who then
    > came to live with us for a while. In point of fact, at that time in my
    > aunt's life, she was merely a brain being kept alive by a breathing
    > machine. She was still human. Quadraplegics are still human.
    >
    > Lets examine a couple of possibities. What is the difference between a
    > computer who can reason, tell you that he feels sad, who can remember
    > previous conversations, etc and a person who does the same thing? You
    > might say that the computer can't feel emotions. In point of fact you
    > don't really observe or know the feelings I say I feel. To you, they are
    > inaccessible. All you can do is hear my description of those feelings and
    > believe me. On what basis would you disbelieve a computer saying the same
    > thing? So what is the difference?
    >
    > Now take another example. Maybe technology can't create a silicon brain
    for
    > some fundamental physical reason. But, we are becoming quite knowledgable
    > in manipulating biological materials via genetic engineering. Suppose in
    > the future genetic engineers (GE) use cat neruons to create a very large,
    > very complex brain which is not the same as a cat's brain but is bigger
    and
    > more complex. This can be done merely by altering the developmental
    program
    > of brain development. We already know in principle how to do this:
    >
    > "The size of the cortex depends on the number of cells in it, and that in
    > turn depends on the number of founder cells in the ventricular zone. If
    > the timing of one crucial moment in development when the founder cells
    > start producing migrating neurons instead of more founder cells-were to
    be
    > delayed, the result would be a bigger brain. A single additional cycle
    of
    > cell division would double the number of founder cells and ultimately the
    > size of the cortex. Two added cycles would produce a four times bigger
    > cortex and so on exponentially. Such a small change in the timing of
    cell
    > division, says Rakic, could conceivably be controlled by a single gene.
    > "Alternatively, a change could have happened in a gene that programs
    > founder cells to die when they have reached the end of their usefulness.
    > Rakic and his colleagues have identified such a gene in mouse brain
    cells.
    > When they created a 'knockout' mouse in which that gene was missing, the
    > mouse's brain grew so large that it burst through the skull. Its
    normally
    > smooth surface had acquired small dents and folds." ~ Robert Kunzig,
    > "Climbing Through the Brain," Discover, August 1998, p. 69
    >
    > Now, if this large cat brain was hooked up to a speech synthesizer,
    trained
    > to use it and then it told you that it was depressed, do you believe it?
    Is
> [...]
    > the thing alive but so what? Does this count as the creation of
    artificial
    > intelligence if you hook it up to a speech synthesizer? Is it human? I
    > would say yes he/she is human. But they would have no mobility. Mobility
    as
    > I noted above is not a defining characteristic of humanity. If you
    answer
    > no, that this is not the creation of artificial intelligence, what is the
    > difference between this situation and that of the large cat brain above?
    > Why is one not the creation of AI and the other might be? And if the
    large
    > cat brain can do all the things the human brain can do, what
    distinguishes
    > it from humanity?
    >
    > Somthing like this has already been tried. There was a guy back in the
    60s
    > who was experimenting with transplanting heads. His gruesome experiments
    > was shut down because of public outrage. Unfortunately, that public
    > outrage shortened the lives of quadraplegics. According to this guy, I
    > forget his name, the bodies of quadruplegics cease functioning at a
    younger
    > age on average. He was trying to prolong the lives of quads by
    > transplanting their heads to new bodies when their old bodies wore out.
    > The human would still be there, just the machinery keeping him alive
    would
    > be different. So what is the difference between a person in this
    situation
    > and a brain grown in vitro? Who has the image of God?
    >
    > Of course, I know as well as
    > >you do that motion and no motion are qualitatively different. But for
    this
    > >discussion...?
    > >
    > >> Do I think that AI will be achieved nd the Turring test passed by some
    > >> computer? No. But I do think that there will be some close calls.
    > >
    > >Why no? Because our technology can never be good enough, or is there
    some
    > >other principial reason?
    >
    > Basically my predjudice and nothing more. And as I think about it, I may
    > very well have been hasty in my condemnation of AI. It may turn out that
    > there is some fundamental physical limitation to using silicon as a basis
    > for intelligence. However, given Genesis 11:6-7 I am usually one not to
    > doubt that mankind can do pretty much as he wants, including making
    > artificial intelligence. It says:
    >
    > "And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one
    > language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained
    > from them, which they have imagined to do."
    >
    > If we can imagine AI, we can probably someday produce it--maybe not in
    the
    > way we originally envisioned it but we will probably produce it.
    >

    > >I enjoy discussing this with you!
    >
    > Me too, you are causing me to re-think some things I haven't thought

    What I meant was (as the fellow said when he saw his wife's challenging
    countenance after he a made a dumb remark) is this:

    You rightly resent those who, like the racist gubernatorial candidate I
    cited, say,"Just look at them. You can seem that they are not human." He
    was talking about black people and referring in particular to facial
    characteristics. Up to that point, the black people he was referring to
    could have been standing absolutely still. He could have been referring to
    still pictures. Or statues. But once real people start moving, they
    _behave_ in one way or another. So, looking at facial characteristics or
    even body build is not the same as looking at facial characteristics, body
    build, and behavior.

    Now consider fossil remains. When we look at those remains, it is like
    looking at a broken statue. What has always been important on this
    listserv, however, is the context of those fossils. What kind of _behavior_
    were those beings engaged in? Did they build camps, make tools, build
    altars, etc.? At that point, it seems to me, that we take the fossils,
    tools, etc., to constitute a single picture. We simply do not say, "I make
    no decision about the fossil itself." Of course we make decisions, some of
    which are based on the tools, campsites, and all the rest.
    Fossil-plus-context is of one piece.

    Blacks are human not because of the way they look, not because of their
    behavior or any aspect of their culture, but because they are children of
    Adam and Eve. The image of God they bear was broken when Adam sinned and,
    just as with people of all races, requires restoration by Christ. They,
    too, need to be made into his likeness once again.

    I hope I haven't made my position more confusing!

    Russ

    Russell Maatman
    e-mail: rmaat@mtcnet.net
    Home: 401 5th Avenue