Fw: looks and humanity

From: Russell Maatman (rmaat@mtcnet.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 23:03:48 EST

    ASAers:

    I'd like to respond to one rem ark Glenn made. See my comments below.

    Glenn Morton wrote on Saturday, February 12, 2000 2:20 AM.

    > At 02:38 PM 2/11/00 -0600, Russell Maatman wrote:
    > >To the ASA group:
    > >
    > >See my comments below.
    > >
    > >David Bowman wrote on Friday, February 11, 2000 7:34 AM,
    > >
    > >> Regarding Glenn's comments:

    > >someone
    > >other
    > >looks.
    > >for
    > >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > >>
    > >> So looking like a duck is part of the duck test. How does this square
    > >> with your preference for a Turing test then?
    > >
    > >I hadn't thought of comparing the Turing test with examining fossils and
    > >the behavior of the living beings they represent. But it's a good
    > >comparison, and I'm glad a few on this listserv have interjected it into
    > >the thread. Isn't the Turing test a typical example of a secular
    approach
    > >to creation?
    >
    > It is basically an objective test. If you sit at a computer screen
    speaking
    > with several somethings who are electronically talking to you, and if you
    > can't tell he difference between the responses given by the computer
    > program and the responses given by the real people, then AI has been
    > created. If there were a difference, one would be able to distinguish a
    > machine from a person. Now, we might say that when we LOOK at the two
    > entities and see in one case a beautiful young lady and in the other an
    > ugly set of chips and wire, we might then reject that computer from
    person
    > hood. But that rejection is based solely upon looks and nothing else. If
    > that is the case, that we include or reject beings from humanity on the
    > basis of looks, it raises an interesting question.
    >
    > How ugly does someone have to be in order to be denied their humanity?
    >
    > When I was a Jr. Hi kid, in Ardmore Oklahoma, there was an old Indian who
    > had large tumors growing out of half his face. That poor man was really
    > ugly. We kids treated him badly. I suspect that deep down, we didn't
    > really want to examine his actual humanity which lay under those ugly
    > tumors. All we cared about was the looks. This is the danger of paying
    > attention to looks when deciding humanity.

    Glenn, I keep thinking that you are very close to the position I took in
    the post that started this discussion a few days ago. You rightly deplore
    judging whether a being is human on the basis of its looks or appearance. I
    agree. But I make the same claim for fossils and the behavior of the beings
    that were fossilized. I realize you have not included behavior. Really--can
    you draw a line between a static being and that being in motion? Isn't the
    appearance of a being related to its behavior? Of course, I know as well as
    you do that motion and no motion are qualitatively different. But for this
    discussion...?

    > Do I think that AI will be achieved nd the Turring test passed by some
    > computer? No. But I do think that there will be some close calls.

    Why no? Because our technology can never be good enough, or is there some
    other principial reason?

    I enjoy discussing this with you!

    Russ

    Russell Maatman