Re: Fw: Fw: looks and humanity

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 16:16:59 EST

    At 12:42 PM 2/14/00 -0600, Russell Maatman wrote:
    >Now consider fossil remains. When we look at those remains, it is like
    >looking at a broken statue. What has always been important on this
    >listserv, however, is the context of those fossils. What kind of _behavior_
    >were those beings engaged in? Did they build camps, make tools, build
    >altars, etc.? At that point, it seems to me, that we take the fossils,
    >tools, etc., to constitute a single picture. We simply do not say, "I make
    >no decision about the fossil itself." Of course we make decisions, some of
    >which are based on the tools, campsites, and all the rest.
    >Fossil-plus-context is of one piece.

    I agree. And that is why I have constantly pointed out the fossilized
    evidence of behavior. Most apologists simply dismiss these people because
    they look different from us. And they give a very short and inaccurate
    account of their behavior.

    Hugh Ross calls H. erectus a bipedal mammal. And Wiester says a stupid
    thing about Neandertal:

    "However, he reportedly lacked the frontal lobe, the speech center of our
    modern brain."John Wiester, The Genesis Connection, (Nashville: Thomas
    Nelson Publishers, 1983), p. 180

    Neandertal most assuredly had a frontal lobe!!!!!

    Was H. erectus human? I believe he was because of what behavior we find in
    the record. At Bilzingsleben, Germany, around 400,000 years ago, Homo
    erectus built a village. The huts had openings to the south with a hearth
    near the door. This is exactly the best way to keep a hut warm when the
    north wind blows. This village had a 27 foot diameter paved area with a
    quartzite stone in the center of it. On each side of the stone was a bison
    horn. and in front of the stone were smashed human skulls. Sounds like an
    altar to me. (references below)

    In another area of the village was a work area in which wood shavings are
    stil preserved in the travertine. Apparently they used this area as a
    manufacturing area. They also manufactured bone spear points, something
    that some say only upper paleolithic humans did after 40,000 years ago. Yet
    this was ten times older. There is even art work there. Taken as a whole,
    these people fulfilled almost every observational definition of humanity
    save one---they don't look like us.

    And this is a point Wiester uses:

            "Homo erectus was a world traveler. He is thought to have originated in
    East Africa and thence expanded into Asia (Peking Man), Java (Java Man),
    and Europe. Although his brain cavity size is between that of apes and
    humans, and in some cases approaches that of modern man, his physical
    appearance would not make him a welcome guest at a dinner party." ~ John
    Wiester, The Genesis Connection, (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers,
    1983), p. 165

    While he ends up with a question about erectus, this emotional appeal is
    not lost on the readers.

    And Wilcox says:

    "The only 'cultural' evidence we have of Homo erectus is the Acheulian
    bifacial 'handaxe' industry which appeared suddenly and remained more or
    less unchanged by time and location for a million years." PSCF 48:2, 1996.

    Since most of the articles I cited in support of H. erectus were published
    prior to Wilcox's paper, it shows how bad is the research many apologists
    put into the topics upon which they write. In my opinion the data clearly
    shows that at the very least, late homo erectus was human by almost any
    reasonable definition.