Re: Exceptional Measures

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 22:42:00 EST

    Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > For the particular attention of Glenn, Dick and George:
    >
    > Why not return from the realms of fantasy and look instead at some
    > facts? You appear to have dug your heels in with respect to the truths I
    > have to offer, and clearly are not prepared to give them a second
    > thought. Let me therefore suggest a little numerical tidbit which might
    > offer a way forward:
    >
    > There must be few who will be unacquainted with the simplest application
    > of the Pythagorean theorem, viz the 3:4:5 triangle. Any triangle having
    > sides in these ratios will be found to have a right-angle opposite the
    > longest side. It so happens that the gematrial value of 'the earth' - as
    > rendered in the Hebrew of Genesis 1:1 - is 296. Multiplying this by 3, 4
    > and 5, in turn, we generate the sides 888, 1184 and 1480, respectively,
    > of a right-angled triangle. The features of this triangle include the
    > following:

    > (1) 888 and 1480 are the gematrial values of 'Jesus' and of 'Christ',
    > respectively, from the NT Greek; the shortest and longest sides of our
    > triangle taken together therefore 'spell' the Lord's Name;

            Of course this is the gemetrial value of h'rtz not only in Gen.1:1
    but anywhere else. & if this didn't work you could look for another word.

    > (2) 1184 is the smaller component of the 'friendly number' pair,
    > 1184/1210; in other words, the factors of 1184 (including 1 but
    > excluding 1184 itsef) total 1210, and likewise, those of 1210 total
    > 1184; such instances are very rare numerical events - this example being
    > further distinguished by the fact that it had escaped the attention of
    > 'friendly number' hunters until the latter years of the nineteenth
    > century;
    > (3) returning to the Lord's Name: the ratio 888:1480, ie 3:5 is, very
    > appropriately, that of the sides of the mercy seat (Ex.25:17);

            This is just the 3:5 ratio you started with since the factors of
    296 cancel out, so it has nothing to do with "the earth" of Gen.1:1.

    > (4) the angle between these sides in our right-angled triangle is, to
    > the nearest degree, 37 degrees; 37 is a factor of all three sides;

            Since this depends on a particular unit of angular measurement - i.e.,
    degrees instead of radians or circular mils, e.g. - it has no invariant significance.

    > (5) the area of this triangle is 1,051,392 square units - a multiple
    > of 2368, or 'Jesus Christ'.

            The area of the triangle, (1/2) x base x altitude, is 1/2 your value, 525696.
    2368 is still a factor of this. It works because the area is (1/2) x 296 x 296 x 3 x 4
    = 296 x 8 x 37 x 6 = (8 x 296) x (222) = 2368 x 222. I.e., enough factors of 2 have
    gone into this product that you can get a factor of 8 = 3 + 5 to multiply 296.

    > Now these are verifiable facts (and hardly the stuff of 'numerology'
    > that Glenn keeps alluding to!). They are truths that in my view deserve
    > recognition - indeed, deserve to be pondered. Is it really likely that
    > this remarkable confluence would arise by chance? Doesn't it rather
    > suggest the purposive action of a divine hand? And should we not
    > therefore make it our business - as followers of truth - to investigate
    > further and determine what that purpose might be?

            Your starting point - the Hebrew word ha'eretz - is arbitrary, & given the range
    of possible choices it's not amazing that a word can be found which 3, 4, and 5 can turn
    into the gemetria for the Greek of "Jesus Christ". That having been done, I've shown
    with little attention to the matter that most of your facts are either the result of
    simple numerical properties which have nothing to do with the words in question, or are
    meaningless. I haven't shown this for your item (2) but probably could if I spent more
    than 20 minutes on it, which I don't plan to.

    > You might like to offer your views re this particular example.

            "Weighed in the balance and found wanting" is I think an appropriate biblical
    evaluation.
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy