Re: Exceptional Measures

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 18:42:16 EST

    For the particular attention of Glenn, Dick and George:

    Why not return from the realms of fantasy and look instead at some
    facts? You appear to have dug your heels in with respect to the truths I
    have to offer, and clearly are not prepared to give them a second
    thought. Let me therefore suggest a little numerical tidbit which might
    offer a way forward:

    There must be few who will be unacquainted with the simplest application
    of the Pythagorean theorem, viz the 3:4:5 triangle. Any triangle having
    sides in these ratios will be found to have a right-angle opposite the
    longest side. It so happens that the gematrial value of 'the earth' - as
    rendered in the Hebrew of Genesis 1:1 - is 296. Multiplying this by 3, 4
    and 5, in turn, we generate the sides 888, 1184 and 1480, respectively,
    of a right-angled triangle. The features of this triangle include the
    following:

    (1) 888 and 1480 are the gematrial values of 'Jesus' and of 'Christ',
    respectively, from the NT Greek; the shortest and longest sides of our
    triangle taken together therefore 'spell' the Lord's Name;

    (2) 1184 is the smaller component of the 'friendly number' pair,
    1184/1210; in other words, the factors of 1184 (including 1 but
    excluding 1184 itsef) total 1210, and likewise, those of 1210 total
    1184; such instances are very rare numerical events - this example being
    further distinguished by the fact that it had escaped the attention of
    'friendly number' hunters until the latter years of the nineteenth
    century;

    (3) returning to the Lord's Name: the ratio 888:1480, ie 3:5 is, very
    appropriately, that of the sides of the mercy seat (Ex.25:17);

    (4) the angle between these sides in our right-angled triangle is, to
    the nearest degree, 37 degrees; 37 is a factor of all three sides;

    (5) the area of this triangle is 1,051,392 square units - a multiple
    of 2368, or 'Jesus Christ'.

    Now these are verifiable facts (and hardly the stuff of 'numerology'
    that Glenn keeps alluding to!). They are truths that in my view deserve
    recognition - indeed, deserve to be pondered. Is it really likely that
    this remarkable confluence would arise by chance? Doesn't it rather
    suggest the purposive action of a divine hand? And should we not
    therefore make it our business - as followers of truth - to investigate
    further and determine what that purpose might be?

    You might like to offer your views re this particular example.

    Vernon

    Vernon Jenkins MSc
    [musician, mining engineer, and formerly Senior Lecturer in Maths and
    Computing, the Polytechnic of Wales (now the University of Glamorgan)]

    http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm

    http://www.compulink.co.uk/~indexer/miracla1.htm